re: Core rules Deep Reading

From: newsbot9 <newsbot9_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:23:41 -0000

>11) Titan Close combat: Reading that seems that if ten guardsman
>charge a titan the tenth roll 11 dice... I think a Titan should
>never be outnumbered, only by knight or more. Elite save is a bit
>too high, we passed from old 4+ to a 6+!! In addition before stand
>are destroyed, now must make they basik save, and this is a big
>difference!! Terminator eat Scout Titan like cake!! I prefer a save
>at 4+, maybe 5+ but no more... And if an infantry or vehicles win
>close combat they can hit Titan's head with a proud jump to the
>skies? It seems to...

The simple old rule we used to play was that to outnumber a Titan,
you had to be Superheavy or otherwise have a special CC ability (like
the Knights with close combat weapons and Stompers). And a titan
could attack any unit on it's base in close combat, but to attack it
they needed to touch the legs.

(I'm an old Epic player who's only recently got back into it and
discovered NetEpic).

Of course, we also took away the bolters (and equivalent 15cm/6+/0)
from vehicles, and subtracted the number of bolters from infantry and
no-save vehicles which attacked those vehicles. (halve the bolters on
sheavy vehicles to make it fair, a third for "pratorians"). We called
it Close Fire (CF). So a Rhino would be CF (1). Terminators and such
were "hardened" and immune to CF.

(this basically speeded things up, although it did make taking
certain vehicles on with infantry a daunting prospect. Terminators
did really well, mind you...)

Titans dropped a bit of CAF, but got some CF to make up for it - so a
Titan had to have a screen versus knights and such, but they didn't
really have to worry about even assualt infantry.