Core rules Deep Reading

From: Zerloon <zerloon_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:36:56 +0100

Hi to All!!!

Finally I've got time to print core rule 5.f and give it a read, below my
impressions, comments, others:

1) Allies: If I understand you choose a list, codex or general, then you
can pick a single ally from other general list right? If right this lead to
a strange situation were Ultramarine (standard) can ally only with standard
army, but since they are general every codex army can pick them as ally!!
Again, is very strange that Space Wolf can ally with Eldar (Alien =
Daemon!!) but, if I've understand, cannot ally with Ultramarines or White
Scars... And, moreover I think that 50% is a too big part of an army, even
general... I'll place limit to ally to 25% for all, and let ally general
and codex, this will allow to add background rivalties (Space Wolf never
alliy with Dark Angel) and so on.

2) Activating Units: In a some time ago post, I remember we stated that
First Fire couldn't be used as activation in movement phase, since is a non
movement order, and since we play that I can tell that is a good thing to
add. A little doubt with transported troop and transport, If I give them
different order they are different activation, but if I give they the same
order they are only one activation? I can choose?

3) Fliers: I dislike the Floater missing and that now all flier can fire to
other fliers, for me is a big error, remember that there should be
customized weapon (air to air) for shooting other flier, otherwise there
are dogfight (close combat). A proposal, I'll make that dogfight also
happen in the movement phase, If I've the right order I can go for
dogfight, if survive go on, otherwise BOOOM!! Of course if go for dogfight
I cannot shoot, like any charge. If I go for multiple dogfight I'll give
extra dicve to my opponent as normal.

4) Terrain: What is a Knight? A very small Titan, and what is a Praetorian?
A very, VERY large Vehicle, so I think that despite size and pinning size
the Knight should share table with Titan and Pretorian with Vehicle. And
once for all, If a model is a titan call Titan, if a pretorian call
Pretorian, not Titan/Pretorian like Dominatrix!!

5) Artillery: Please note if there are difference between Light artillery
and Heavy artillery... for instance a Lascannon can snap fire? reading that
seems not, cause the sentence is "Artillery may not snap fire". I think
should be changed in "Artillery that fire barrage may not snap fire".

6) Psichic Save: Since you noted that shield give a 4+ save, please note
that holofield (that are NOT shields) provide no save against power that
require no Los, and they're normal save against other (like psichic bolt).

7) In the Multiple Wounds box you can read that a commander may continue to
pour fire to a downed creature etc, etc... I think this sentence should be
in the regeneration box, a multiple wounds creature without regenatione
cannot be down, it's dead or not.

8) Cold Blooded: I dislike that you can fire with direct fire, and moreover
there said nothing for barrage... It seems that if place a barrage you hit
you're anly if miss other's!!

9) Ethereal Power: I think we should note here that regenerating creature
cannot regenerate from a Ethereal hit.

10) Titan battlegroup: Ok, I've rock brain, but I'll tell to die that Eldar
Battlegroup was formed by 1 Warlock and 2 Phantom, and should be keep same.

11) Titan Close combat: Reading that seems that if ten guardsman charge a
titan the tenth roll 11 dice... I think a Titan should never be
outnumbered, only by knight or more. Elite save is a bit too high, we
passed from old 4+ to a 6+!! In addition before stand are destroyed, now
must make they basik save, and this is a big difference!! Terminator eat
Scout Titan like cake!! I prefer a save at 4+, maybe 5+ but no more... And
if an infantry or vehicles win close combat they can hit Titan's head with
a proud jump to the skies? It seems to...

12) Praetorian Special Rules, Order: The sentence is written not very well,
since first said that consider Pretorian like HQ for movement and firing,
then said that have fixed movement to 10, and fire always in FF, and this
is not like HQ!!! Rid of the sentence, and keep only that they need no
order to operate, like HQ. Ah, 10 of fixed movement is wrong, there are a
pretorian that have mov 12, what will do? Maybe a change, leave 10 and
place base movement.

13) Building and Fortification: I like that Building can be damaged with
close combat but IMHO is absurd taht infantry or cavalry can do so!! And
even if I can, with a overclock of imagination, figure that terminator can
destroy a buillding, you imagine a building that fall because my beloved
Howling Banshee (armed with pistols and sword) cry "EEEEEEK GO DOWN DAMN
BUILDING!!!"... Imho again only Knight or more could damage building in
close combat.

After all critics I can tell that I'll rise a statue to Yar for the
beautiful work, a joy for eyes!!

Please let me know!!!

Zerloon