Re: RE: [NetEpic ML] Core rules Deep Reading

From: (wrong string) � Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:19:07 +0100

> Also, needs to be kept in mind that 40K weaponry is much more powerfull
than
> anything we posses. So allowing troops a tiny chance of bringing down the
> structure is fine with me

--->I'm sorry but I don't agree at all with this reasoning. Of course there
are lots of weapons in 40K far more destructive than now, but that doesn't
mean the chances of bringing down a building are greater for normal infantry
because:

- The armour and structure of buildings also is quite probably better than
now
- If anything defines the 40K technology is the lack of precision, whereas
this *seems* to be balanced by raw power. indeed to bring down a building
(specially those that came with SM 2ed) it would be necessary to find the
weak spots (without the knowledge or any drawings of the building, the
inexpert use of explosive charges rarely would make the building fall ) and
- ...supose that a squad of 5 troopers would carry enough plasma / melta
bombs to bring down a building (Not to say a second -or a third!- building),
which is NOT the case, since these bombs are not standard equipment in any
army. Only troops prepared before battle with a specific role of building
destroyers, loaded full of explosive charges, would dare running under enemy
fire, and this is the role of engineers.
- Really powerful weapons far more destructive than nowadays ones, DO
actually destroy buildings (Quake Cannon, DDay Cannon,...).

It's not a matter of luck. It's a matter of using the right tools for the
right job. And infatry job is not destroying buildings but emptying them of
other troops. If you want to destroy the building/bridge/fortification,
either send demolishion squads (i.e. engineers in SM) or show the big guns.

Albert