Re: [NetEpic ML] snap fire and pop-up attacks

From: douglas woodcock <douglas_woodcock_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:46:44 +0100 (BST)

correct me if I am wrong but based on the scenario explained, I thought that the Land raiders could only attack the falcons if they have LOS, if the falcons are hiding behind the hill then only when the falcons make the pop-up attack could the Land raiders respond.

Doug

thedlx1984 <the_dlx_at_...> wrote:
> What version are you using, if its not 4.1, there may be a typo, since
> it should read "units on first fire" not units on "snap fire". Snap
fire
> only occurs in the movement phase and since no pop-up atacks occur then
> it can't effect it. First fire units however shoot in the same phase as
> pop-ups thus can effectively interdict them.

Hi Peter

Yep, there is a typo in the current version 5.G of the core rules on
page 16 in the box "Special Rule: Pop Up Attacks" it says

...A unit making a Pop-Up attack can only be targeted by units using
Snap Fire, since by the time units on
Advance Orders ....

and it would correctly be:

...A unit making a Pop-Up attack can only be targeted by units on
First Fire, since by the time units on
Advance Orders ....

-----
My previous question is answered with that but let me construct two
examples that might lead to discussions:

a) Assume the detachment of falcons is behind a hill, is on first-fire
orders and could hit a detachment of land raiders (also on first-fire)
with a pop-up attack and nothing else.

Land Raiders are activated before the falcons, can they shoot at the
falcons (although they have not yet performed their pop-up attack)?

I would say yes from reading the rules but the next example shows that
this leads to further complications:

b)
Assume the detachment of falcons is behind a hill, is on first-fire
orders and has line-of-sight without popping up to a detachment of
marines and when using a pop up attack to a detachment of land
raiders. The space marine player has the initiative and wants to get
rid of the falcons asap.

Can he target the falcons? It is not clear that they will make a
pop-up attack this turn.

I think the easiest solution would be to allow fire on a detachment
making a pop-up attack only in the first fire phase _and only after_
the pop-up attack itself is resolved.

Alternative would be that the land raider player asks the falcon
player wether he will pop up, if yes he can shoot at the falcons
first, if no the falcons are limited to targeting the marines later in
the first fire phase.

Comments?

Oliver

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Want to chat instantly with your online friends?�Get the FREE Yahoo!Messenger