BT Emperor's Champion

From: Angel <angel_stranded_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:48:58 -0000

I've just read the BT army list (gonna be fighting BT soon, I hope)
and I was horrified at the Emperor's Champion. The way this is
written at the moment, it has got to be the most stupid thing in the
whole list.

"Once during each Orders Phase the Champion may issue a challenge to
an enemy HQ or Command unit within sight."

WITHIN SIGHT??? Reading the archives, this used to be "within charge
range" but it seems the challenge can now be issued from several
miles away!

"If the enemy accepts, the Champion must go on Charge Orders and
engage the target unit in Close Combat as quickly as possible, and
the enemy unit may not move away (though standing still is
ok)."

So if the enemy HQ unit is approaching an objective, and the Champion
positions himself carefully in the other direction before issuing the
challenge, the enemy HQ unit cannot approach the objective any more
without turning down the challenge and losing 2VP!

"No unit (from either side) may fire at or engage either the Champion
or his target after the challenge has been accepted."

This is the one that really made my spit my Corn Flakes all over the
screen. After issuing a challenge to a distant enemy HQ unit, the
Champion can now travel from one end of the battle to the other in
complete safety because nobody else is allowed to shoot or attack
him. 10,000 Orks surround him ready to inflict gratuitous violence,
or a hungry horde of Tyranids line up ready to reduce his bones to
soup, but they all suddenly have to stand aside and watch him jog
past so he can go and argue with the boss.

You have got to be joking.

Challenges within charge range, okay (but I still think it's a stupid
concept). Challenges from the other side of the battlefield? Not a
chance.