Re: Heresy 2 Poinst formulas

From: disreality <disreality_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:30:34 -0000

--- In netepic_at_yahoogroups.com, "ramospeter" <primarch_at_c...> wrote:
> Your not messing up anything....I am :)
>
> The formula will give you a strick cost of course when you apply it
> faithfully, but I have been tweaking the cost and rounding off cost.
> So for example, I up the cost to a 20 meaning it should be around
> 120, but after playtesting them, I thought they should cost a tad
> higher.

Excellent. I was worried that I was missing something. I know that the values that I arrived at were quite close (a point or two per stand) but I figured I'd just check anyway. It makes complete sense to tweak things up or down a bit. I'm sure I'll end up doing this myself as I generate the army lists for various 6mm sci-fi stuff I'll be gaming with.

> Granted my "testing" of the army lists has been few and far between
> and I have not "upgraded" the points formula to version 2 (this
> formula still dates back to Heresy I), so I think further re-
> evaluation of points cost is needed.

Further testing always helps. Though, the best points values system is never perfect. There's just too many variables. I just want to make sure I have things relatively fairly represented. I'm definitely going to be starting off more scenario based than points based.

> As I mentioned before, the army list are the "rawest" thing in these
> rules, so I am more than happy to hear any and all input on this
> matter.

Well, I think the rules are very sound and the army lists being "raw" doesn't change that. As I said above, no points values systems are perfect. I think the game will work fine if the points values are a bit off. Given that different match ups end up being stronger than others, it's impossible to have a perfect points system.

For example, even if you had the best possible points system, and you had one army composed almost entirely of infantry with anti-infantry weapons and the other side was incredibly heavy on the artillery and tanks and flyers, the match up wouldn't be even. The game could still well be a blast to play though.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the army lists and the points values absolutely perfect. Just the differing styles of play and different approaches to tactical decisions held by two different players makes the best points system possible an approximation. 300 points of X is never equal to 300 points of Y because they'll be used differently by different people, will end up in different terrain, will be supported by different units, etc. Points systems are a good guide, so if you havea formulas that get things within 10 or 20% of where they should be, that's more than good enough for me.

Thanks for the great system. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Nahtan