R: [NetEpic ML] v 5.0 Fliers

From: Deda <crystalmir_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:39:24 +0100

>"What do YOU want the flier rules to represent?"

Eheheheh! Good question! I throw in my two cents! I'll try to be as clear as
possible!

1) Fliers should represent as clearly as possible the two main types of
fliers (I think) we can find on a modern battlefield. We have airplanes
("Thrusters"? I think at an A-10, attack planes with a very direct
involvment in a land battle) and helicopters ("Floaters"?).
2) I think "Thrusters" should work only by strafing runs on the battlefield,
but without becoming an overwhelming force. They should either be weak
against AA units, or be easily blocked by other Thrusters (The dogfight
mode).
3) Floaters shuould be treated more like normal troops, staying on the
battlefield and so on.

Actually, the rules on the 5.0 book to me are VERY close to my ideal. I
would arrange them as follows:

**Floaters**
As they have always been (at least, 'till v4.1).
Low/High altitude, stable fire platforms (I write with Overlords, Silver
Towers & Palaces in my mind, I don't know if there are other floaters non
shooting always in FF) and treated exactly as the other units on the field
for everything else.
AA units should be able of target Floaters both flying High or Low.

**Thrusters**
I think they shouldn't remain on the table (I don't see an A-10 landing
behind some Bradleys to get cover) but make strafing runs, with the
entry/exit point rule.
The Dogfight rule are just fine.
Common ground troops should be unable to shoot at them, even if they are
being attacked.
AA units should be able to fire at Thrusters without any penalty (after all,
it's what those guns are built for).
Transport Thrusters (like Thuderhawks) should have a third order to land at
any point during the Strafing Run to disembark troops, but in this case they
should have the range of all their weapons reduced to the immediate vicinity
of the disembarking troops to give covering fire (but I think they should
anyway be able to fire with alle their weapons, not just bolters).
The only drawback is that this way Thrusters models become essentially
redundant, but having the miniatures of the field could always be useful in
purpose of shooting/snap firing ranges (take a look at the Optional Rule I
wrote below!).

**AA Units**
I like the new v5.0 rule that gives them great problems when shooting at
small ground targets.
Anyway, it's fair to give AA units the chance (although difficult) to shoot
at ground targets as these could easily be totally unuseful units if the
enemy doesn't field any fliers.

Ok, that's my point of view about fliers. Now, since tonite my mind is not
willing to calm down...

**Optional Rule: Disengaging**
Thrusters are equipped with sensor arrays built to detect incoming AA fire
targeting them. If a Thruster, at any point in his strafing run, is targeted
by an AA unit, the pilot may decide to disengage from the battlefield,
gaining speed and altitude in exchange for precision. The Thruster may fire
its weapons, with a -1 to Hit modifier, from the point it was when the AA
unit Snap Fired at it. The AA unit firing also gets a -1 to Hit modifier
because of the evasive manouvers. After this, if the Thruster survives the
AA fire, it is removed from the field and will be ready for another action
in the following turn.

I don't know if anyone feels the need of such a rule, but I think could give
a little more chances of survival to Thrusters when facing tons of AA
guns... also being a Squat player I find difficult to understand why someone
should like to be flying so high and so fast above ground. My ancestors used
to say "Do just one thing, but do it well!" So I prefer going fast OR going
high. Not both...!

-Andrea (Uthgardt of Yahoo!)