Re: [NetEpic ML] v 5.0 Fliers

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:49:24 -0400

Hi!

Deda wrote:

>I go on with my commentaries about the 5.0 rules, hoping not to be too
>boring (and begging your forgiveness for my tricky english)!
>
>Being still sick & around home, this morning I read once again the fliers
>rules. I admit there are some obscure points, mainly in the "common" rules
>sections.
>
>Since there is no Squat booklet available for now I don't know how the
>Overlord (the Floater I best know) will be handled, but I think that keeping
>a clear distinction between proper fliers and floaters would have been a
>better choice, after all I think there are more diversities than
>similarities between (I use the old distinction) Thrusters and Floaters.
>
>I like the idea of the two different "modes" for "Thrusters" (in and off
>board), and I think that the possibility to use both of them could be quite
>good as well (a Thuderbolt pilot could choose for a strafing run or to stay
>around a while to see what's going on).
>
>But..why the low/high altitued for thrusters too? I think this rule would
>just end in a lesser value of AA guns that have their range cut down to 3/4
>o 2/3 (AFAIK the only 125 cm range AA is the Thunder Fire Cannon).
>
>Well..ok, in this mail I have been far more destructive than
>constructive...but I'd just want to plant the seed for a small discussion,
>and know what all the others members think about it!
>
>And, have a nice & happy week! ^_^

Flier rules have always engendered a lot of debates. Mainly because GW
never really developed good rules for SM2 for them. Through the various
versions we've gone from "detailed" to "simplified". The only thing
we've learned is that the flier rules should largely be "optional". So
the final product will include diverse options with the ones mentioned
above being one option.

I agree it is a subject for a lot of debate and I'll throw in one
question asked a few times but never fully answered:

"What do YOU want the flier rules to represent?"

I'd really like to see what people look for or want in a net epic flier
rules.

Peter