Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: New file uploaded to netepic [SM army book]

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:18:18 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Montabert" <kotrin_at_...>
To: <netepic_at_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 11:19 AM
Subject: [NetEpic ML] Re: New file uploaded to netepic [SM army book]

> I've particularily enjoyed the "meta-game" comments,
> as they perfectly fit with my own view of the game.
>
> Despite this, I just wanted to tell that there are
> already a BIG precedent to that case: Khorne war
> engines, which receive +1 to hit, +1 to saving throw
> and +1D6 to CAF when the Khornate player leads in
> victory points.

Yes, but this is balanced by the evident lack of firepower plus the
relatively slow movement rate of most units in Khorne army, hence, Khorne
army usually receives big punch in the first and second turn, and thus,
usually starts behind in VP. The bonus is not that important. If Khorne is
ahead in VP, that means that anyway, Khorne is most probably about to win.

> I don't know if it has already been suggested and I'm
> no Salamander expert, but what about a thing like that
> for Salamanders ?
>
> Infantry stands could receive +1 (or +2, +1D6,
> whatever) to CAF for the next turn when they are
> LOSING the game in terms of victory points at the end
> of a turn. This would illustrate their resolve against
> superior odds.
>
> I wouldn't go that far as Khorne bonus though. To
> balance things out, Salamanders can be 1) more
> expensive or 2) worse in CC (which is the case in
> W40k) than their SM counterparts.

1) could be ok, but how much? 2) is not fluffy IMHO, CAF for tactical
marines is +2 and reducing beyond that is not reasonable.

Since the "never give up" idea started as a last resort tactic, I've come
across another idea:

If the Salamander player is losing in VP (but still has not lost) at the
beginning of the place orders phase, he can call for the "never give up
rule".

In this case, he forfeits his possible win for a +1d6 in CC for all
Salamander infantry and bikes for the rest of the game and all Salamnder
units check morale as veterans (that is, 1+).

If the Salamander player reaches the victory conditions alone or both
players reach the victory conditions in the same turn, the game is a draw.
If the opponent reaches the victory conditions and the Salamander player
does not, the opponent wins

[Proposed house rule #1: Also, if the salamander player loses when using the
"never give up rule", he must pay a beer round to the opponent(s)][Proposed
house rule #2: Or a stronger drink if it was a really humilliating defeat]

In this way, the Salamanders get a strong bonus to recover to a very high
cost, since it is not possible to achieve a victory.

If someone else wants to add more ideas, he is welcomed, and then we can
just poll (problably, it is not necessary to add both house rules, in any
case...)

Albert