Re: [NetEpic ML] Frateris Militia Pt 2a

From: cibernyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 03:29:43 +0200

> > personally, I would reduce the to hit of the militia, bikes,
> trucks and
> > cavalry to 6+ using auto weapons instead of bolters. Militia is CC
> cannon
> > fodder, although Holy Rage makes them quite annoying. Trucks
> should be
> > really expendable since they are the last step on quality for
> transports.
> > Finally, I would make cavalry and bikes fast moving units but
> still, fast
> > moving expendable units. Indeed, expendable is a good adjective
> for most
> > units in a Crusader army. Hence, units should reflect their low
> (lowest)
> > quality profile IMHO.
>
> Hmmm. I wanted to make the Frateris worse than the Imp. Guard but
> not so bad that no one would play it. Everythings still optional and
> up in the air. I havn't even playtested anything yet.

----> I think that no army is worse than another if the relation
usefulness/point-cost is mantained when compared to other armies. Militia
stands may suck, they can be almost aiming dummies, but they will be a lot
and still they add extra dice when outnumbering in CC. Indeed, a cheap army
made of pityful units can take a lot of punishment where "elite" armies like
eldar or SM could not. It's not a matter of not being hit but avoid reaching
the critical body count that makes your army run away or loose the necessary
punch.

> > I mean that IG has low stats but still is an organized and trained
> army with
> > a reasonably normalised and good equipment. A crusader army is at
> least one
> > step down, more a matter of faith and devotion to the emperor
> rather than
> > training, organization and good equipment. And under this
> reasoning I think
> > that troop stats should reflect that.
>
> > Albert
>
> I didn't think that would matter so much on a stand to stand basis.
> Like you said the Imp. Guard would beat the frateris-based army
> everytime just because they have better equipment. For instance, any
> artillery (besides Earthshakers) or flyers have to be taken as
> allies. If a long range engagemnt happens the Guard should win, if a
> cc engagemnt happens the Frateris might win.

Then your strategy should be to reach CC ASAP and avoid long and medium
range firefights. If this army allows for enough tactical approaches to
fulfill these goals there should be no problem. If the points are correctly
adjusted, a crusader army vs an IG army of the same point total should have
the same chances to win. Provided, of course, players of the same level.

> >I think it is better to keep them separated since the sisters are
> >more like
> >a SM army while the crusaders are, well, lots of cannon fodder.
> >They do not
> >have so much in common, both in tactics and philosophy.
>
> The Imp. Guard are the default allies of the space marines. The
> Frateris are the default allies of the Sisters.

Well, I must say that my knowledge of the last fluff from GW is a bit
reduced. I'm always based in Rogue Trader which was the last consistent book
that GW made on 40k fluff. The problem is that there is not much on
sororitas and crusade armies specifically so I suppose your point is right.

> >Well, IMHO this is at least as powerful as Ghazkull's Waaargh!! (or
> >meybe
> >more powerful, since it lasts untill the end of the battle). How do
> >you plan
> >to compensate for this? A higher point cost for all units?
>

> > New Special Ability: Holy Rage
> >
> > Holy Rage may only be activated once per game and stays in effect
> > until the end of the game. The unit may not be placed on first fire
> > or fall back orders but must advance and charge if an enemy is
> > within range. The unit becomes fearless and adds +2 to its Caf.
>
> I intended this to be the great equalizer for the frateris, its main
> special ability. I really don't want to make units more expensive
> because of it, so I tried to write the handicap into the ability
> itself, but its probably not too clear. I'll try to revise it.
>
> New version: Holy Rage
> Holy Rage may only be activated once per game and stays in effect
> until the end of the game. The unit may not be placed on first fire
> or fall back orders but must advance every round and charge if an
> enemy is within range. The unit becomes fearless and adds +2 to its
> Caf.
>
> This way they sort of become loose cannons and only semi-
> controllable, which I thought was more appropriate since they have
> more in common with a mob than an army.
>
> If its still too powerful here's another optional rule. You can only
> activate Holy Rage as many times per game as you have Priest units
> (Confessors, Missionaries or Preachers) in your army and the effects
> only last one turn.

IMHO it is still quite powerful (I think I will forget about using grey
knights against Chaos and release an angry fanatic mob against those pesky
daemons...)

Maybe a softer, optional, approach might be to improve morale rolls with a
+1 (or +2), move at full advance towards the enemy or charge, if possible,
and CAF +1 or +2. At the end of the turn make a morale roll for every
detachment under holy rage: If they pass they keep holy rage status, if not,
lose one stand and also holy rage status. Holy rage morale bonus can be
applied to this roll but one stand is destroyed due to traitors purge to
raise morale (did I say Paranoia?). Holy Rage can only be called once per
game and only if there's at least one priest unit alive.

Thus you get at least one turn of glory which can extend a bit its effects
for following turns, although the effect is strongly reduced. ...The star
which shines twice brighter, is consumed twice faster...

 Albert