Re: [NetEpic ML] Frateris Militia Pt 2a

From: talos402000 <tamah0me_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 17:29:40 -0000

Thanks for the commentary, I'll try to answer your questions in one
post.

--- In netepic_at_yahoogroups.com, "cibernyam" <cibernyam_at_h...> wrote:
> nice work!

Thanks!

> personally, I would reduce the to hit of the militia, bikes,
trucks and
> cavalry to 6+ using auto weapons instead of bolters. Militia is CC
cannon
> fodder, although Holy Rage makes them quite annoying. Trucks
should be
> really expendable since they are the last step on quality for
transports.
> Finally, I would make cavalry and bikes fast moving units but
still, fast
> moving expendable units. Indeed, expendable is a good adjective
for most
> units in a Crusader army. Hence, units should reflect their low
(lowest)
> quality profile IMHO.

Hmmm. I wanted to make the Frateris worse than the Imp. Guard but
not so bad that no one would play it. Everythings still optional and
up in the air. I havn't even playtested anything yet.

> I mean that IG has low stats but still is an organized and trained
army with
> a reasonably normalised and good equipment. A crusader army is at
least one
> step down, more a matter of faith and devotion to the emperor
rather than
> training, organization and good equipment. And under this
reasoning I think
> that troop stats should reflect that.

> Albert

I didn't think that would matter so much on a stand to stand basis.
Like you said the Imp. Guard would beat the frateris-based army
everytime just because they have better equipment. For instance, any
artillery (besides Earthshakers) or flyers have to be taken as
allies. If a long range engagemnt happens the Guard should win, if a
cc engagemnt happens the Frateris might win.

>I think it is better to keep them separated since the sisters are
>more like
>a SM army while the crusaders are, well, lots of cannon fodder.
>They do not
>have so much in common, both in tactics and philosophy.

The Imp. Guard are the default allies of the space marines. The
Frateris are the default allies of the Sisters.

>I really like the crusader army, lots of shitty infantry, worse
>than IG,

They were intended to be. I was going for lots of cannon fodder and
fanaticism.

>ready to be thrown to the enemy... Did I say I love playing games
>with LOTS
>of minis? I think a wonderful game must be a crusader army against
>a rebel
>PDF suspected (wrongly) to treat with daemons...

>Well, IMHO this is at least as powerful as Ghazkull's Waaargh!! (or
>meybe
>more powerful, since it lasts untill the end of the battle). How do
>you plan
>to compensate for this? A higher point cost for all units?

> New Special Ability: Holy Rage
>
> Holy Rage may only be activated once per game and stays in effect
> until the end of the game. The unit may not be placed on first fire
> or fall back orders but must advance and charge if an enemy is
> within range. The unit becomes fearless and adds +2 to its Caf.

I intended this to be the great equalizer for the frateris, its main
special ability. I really don't want to make units more expensive
because of it, so I tried to write the handicap into the ability
itself, but its probably not too clear. I'll try to revise it.

New version: Holy Rage
Holy Rage may only be activated once per game and stays in effect
until the end of the game. The unit may not be placed on first fire
or fall back orders but must advance every round and charge if an
enemy is within range. The unit becomes fearless and adds +2 to its
Caf.

This way they sort of become loose cannons and only semi-
controllable, which I thought was more appropriate since they have
more in common with a mob than an army.

If its still too powerful here's another optional rule. You can only
activate Holy Rage as many times per game as you have Priest units
(Confessors, Missionaries or Preachers) in your army and the effects
only last one turn.