[NetEpic ML] Re: Rules Questions for Everyone!

From: Wilding, Karl <kwildi_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:23:11 -0000

I can understand Pods not being able to land in rivers and marshes, but
why can't the Pods land on the tops of buildings, or land in forests, or
difficult terrain. The pod does not move, only lands. Why can tracked
vehicles move in these kinds of terrain but not Pods landing.

----------------------

The descriptions of drop pods I've seen suggest a pretty unpleasant descent
('One-way express elevator to hell, going dowwwwwn!' Ok, it was a dropship
in 'Aliens' but you get the idea.). Presumably they are programmed with the
ground-level at the drop site, and this altitude used to determine when the
thrusters are fired. A 30m-tall building or forest canopy would be hit
before the thrusters had slowed the descent enough. Alternatively, the pods
would be seriously decelerating, and if their exhaust hit a biulding /
canopy, even if the pod didn't, they would be spun out of control. Blah
blah. You get the idea *grin*

As for marshes, and such like, the pods would still hit the ground hard. A
few 10s of tonnes of pod is going to make a deep impact on soft ground...