Re: [NetEpic ML] Shield Drone suggestion

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:22:22 +1000

>What's the point of having real models wich have no effect, and game
>effects relying on invisible models? Wouldn't it be simplier if
>shield drone models simply had a game effect?

I agree that having the models and no rules for them is a bit annoying, but
consider the following: in 40K the Shield Drones are linked to a specific
figure (through the Drone Controller). These Drones can only stay within
coherency of their controller.

NOWHERE in the 40K Tau lists do Shield Drones act independently. They are
BODYGUARDS. They shield the individual they are linked to. Gun Drones are
often linked to form small squadrons but Shield Drones are not.

I really, really don't like the idea of having units of them flying around
the battlefield protecting other units. It does not fit with their true
purpose which is to protect special individuals. Sure, NetEpic is about
bringing some of the detail back into Epic but there IS such a thing as too
much detail (as is my personal feeling about some of the Eldar
Vehicles). The Shield Drones are abstracted into the Commander and
Ethereal bases with their Fixed saves. I think we should leave it at
that. At the very best, I think the Shield Drone formation should be an
optional unit. Personally, I would prefer they not be added at all.

-Kelvin....

"All power corrupts. Absolute Power is kinda neat."