Shield Drone suggestion

From: Stephane Montabert <kotrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:44:28 -0000

Kelvin's answer made me think, which is always a bad idea.

> In 40K the only units that can use Shield Drones are characters.
> They do not form units on their own and so there is no reason to
> make up Shield Drone units.

In current version of Tau book, there is no use for shield drone
models apart gluing them on some commander base for a neat appearance.

On the other hand, any unit can be given shield drone upgrade, which
does not translate into anything visible BUT results in an improved
save - because of the shield drones.

Uh? Don't you see something strange there?

What's the point of having real models wich have no effect, and game
effects relying on invisible models? Wouldn't it be simplier if
shield drone models simply had a game effect?

I quickly thought of the following:

Shield Drone
Move 15 cm
Sv: 5+f
CAF -3
No weapon
Additional abilities: Jump Pack, Special
A shield drone unit can protect one stand in base-to-base contact
against enemy fire. The shield drone suffers any hit in place of the
protected stand. The shield drone has no effect against template
weapons. As soon as the drone fails a save it is removed and provides
no further protection. Shield drones can't assault even on charge
orders, but can be assaulted normally.

100 points for 4 stands. No Morale, no break point. I suggest no VP
as well.

Comments?

Stephane