Re: [NetEpic ML] NetEpic Future

From: cibernyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 23:49:41 +0200

> I'll reply to 2 areas of your comments, first I've been a long time gamer,
> since 1971. I loved SPI, and people complained bitterly about their
prices,
> and they died. A huge loss. A few years later, the Flag Ship of Board
> Wargaming, Avalon Hill, died. They tried to keep and thier prices down
and
> broaden their appeal. It didn't work. I play GW minatures because of the
> death of board wargaming. You just can't go to a club set up and play,
that
> was 20 years ago. I have a new hobby now (miniatures) and I love it. [I
> still do play board wargames but only once in a while] I do not mind
paying
> the prices of GW products. Yes by other manufactors prices GW prices my
> seem high. But, remember your also paying to keep your favorite hobby
> alive. I'm still upset at the loss of SPI and Avalon Hill. I find GW
> prices to be fair and reasonable, considering that you get an entire hobby
> (read: universe of fantasy and SF) with it. NetEpic should support GW
> anyway it can.

I'm sorry but I cannot agree. I don't think that AH has anything to do with
GW neither in commercial strategy nor prduct style. I also played lot of AH
games and still do. Indeed, it's rather difficult to find such a good game
as Civilization or Diplomacy, just to speak on best sellers. But AH is dead
and down here still keep competitions running with the old AH sets. I don't
think that will happen with GW rulesets. Where AH spent most of the product
cost in getting a good, balanced game, GW spends in marketing and
advertisement. Thus, poorer games in rules quality, because the bussiness is
with the minis. When I think that an old AH game costs me the same as only
two reaver titans... Indeed, I would gladly pay twice the original price of
many AH games.

As demostrated with Epic40k, the hobby is not with GW, in our case is with
the NetEpic group, indeed NetEpic only uses GW minis and to some degree it
might not be necessary. Notice how most epic40k players turned their eyes to
NetEpic when GW just forgot about them. The thing is that NetEpic survived
quite well to the lack of GW support during that period. And I don't want to
hear the song about GW caring for their costumers. E:A has been created
because there is a chance of bussiness, and no other main reason. Another
thing is if you refer to playWH40k or WHFB, but that's another story where
I'm not going to travel. If that's the case you may be right but that, I
don't know.

I think that we should aim for an status for Netepic similar to 15 mm
historical games, like before was 7WRG and now DBA or DBM. Completely
independent of the mini company (Irregular, WEssex, ...). Being an appendix
of GW is not really that profitable, if they want to sell minis it's ok for
me, but not at any price. We can point out GW minis suitable for any unit
but that shouldn't be an obstacle to also offer other alternatives to
gamers. I think that the average age of NetEpic players grants enough
decisory ability to give them (us) different options and leave the choice to
them (us). Let them (us) buy the minis they (we) think suit better their
(our) gaming needs and economic level. There's no need to help GW own the
monopoly.

> Second area, I remember a novel, Starship Troopers that was written in the
> 50's or 60's. It's got Starship Troopers (Space Marines) vs bugs. It's
> very close to some of 40K. Very good novel too.
> Ed

Yes, That's what I was referring, the author of Starship Troopers is R.A
Heinlein.

Albert