Re: [NetEpic ML] Questions about the Hardware Book

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:09:34 +0100

Hi dafrca, nice to see you here :-)

> Anyway, I have a question, when looking at the book I was confussed by
> when a mini is a new "Mark" and when it is just a veriation of a
> "Mark"?
>
> Is it based only on the package it come in, or the date of release.
> Does a re-release automaticly become a new Mark?

Good question. My initial plan was to assume a NetEpic perspective -
the units would be using their NetEpic names, and any unit missing
NetEpic stats would have to be declared a Mark of something else or a
possible proxy.

During the work, though, it has become increasingly clear that this is
not the optimal solution. The E:A release schedule features (or maybe
we can tell "featured"....) variant lists which have no NetEpic
equivalent. Reassigning all the various Baran units to something else
would probably just increase confusion.

My current criterion is rather simple: if the unit uses the same name,
assign it as a "Mark". Otherwise create a new entry. Notable
exceptions are some of the FW models (i.e. the Stormsword being
named as a Mark II Stormhammer). This is due to the fact that those
particular units never received stats or rules in any of the Epic editions;
those units usually get assigned as a "Mark" of something else. This is
not always true, though; the next Imperial update will feature a
significant number of additions, among which all the new Siege units
and all the remaining imperial FW units. When possible I assigned
those as a variant (i.e. the zillion FW Leman Russ versions) but some
simply have no equivalent and have thus their own entry.

As for when it's a Mark and when it's a named variant, it usually goes
something like this:

A) if there's one or more new model(s) released for a new edition, the
Mark increases by one
B) if there are variants which are officially named, the Mark does not
increase and the "official" name is used as a variant (e.g. the two
Predator versions we have since E:40K)
C) FW models are assigned a new highest Mark to distinguish them
from GW models
D) older models are more difficult to categorize, but they usually get
assigned different Marks if they were released at different times, while
they are assigned variants if simultaneously released
E) if the exact same model (same mould AND same material i.e. metal
or plastic) is rereleased, it does not get a new Mark

> Another Question, if I have minis that are missing photos, where would
> I send the photos?
>
> What specs do you want them in (file format, size, dpi etc.)?

luca.lettieri_at_...

for the time being (until end of year). I'll let the group know the new
address when this one becomes unavailable.

Format: the bigger the photo and the higher the resolution, the better.
Size is not a factor (for now). Jpg is good, but any of the usual formats
will do.

Luca Lettieri