Re: [NetEpic ML] grey knights

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:40:58 +0100

On 13 Dec 2004 at 12:48, cibernyam wrote:

> Well, I haven't seen this codex but I don't agree. What I can tell you
> is that in WH40k RT you could purchase greyknight squats in power
> armour as part of the Ordo Maellus army list. If you have interest,
> you can check the stats in the final pages of Realm of Chaos: The lost
> and the damned book. Grey knights in terminator armour were released
> later (probably in a WD previous than 120) and then republished as
> part of the 1991 WH40k compendium, as WH40k RT rules. Indeed, I'm not
> surprised that grey knights in power armour exist, it's just that
> there's a nice opportunity to give stats for these minis and give GK a
> bit of salt and pepper and not just those 400 points you save in every
> battle against chaos.

Really? I own the book, but can't remember the details now. Will have
a look later. That was the one with the Star Childs and the Senseis...
he, good times.

In any case, I think "normally-equipped" GK don't make sense
fluffwise. Just about the only rational explanation which could be made
is that power armour may be better than termie armour in certain
conditions. Otherwise, why bother fielding them in less than perfect
equipment, considering the difficulty of finding and training one? I
doubt that any GK is untrained to use termie armour anyway.

> Given the proportion 1:10 of termies vs normal power armour marines I
> would find rather more usual sending a detachment of power armour SM
> than those few termies. But you are right, they are scarcely used. Not
> in occasions were there's a pack of daemons hanging around, but in a
> normal 5000 point Chaos force how many daemons (and greater daemons!)
> are packed together? I think it is worth sending at least a
> detachment. Just to see a bit of fear in a daemon.

"Realistically" speaking, you'd want to use GK in search and destroy
missions, or to investigate / infiltrate / sabotage potential chaos
infestations long before they reach the "field battle" stage. If things
have deteriorated to the "we must send a whole army" point, it makes
much more sense just sending a few more of those volcano cannon-
equipped superheavies instead, unless you stipulate some fluff reason
(e.g. "physically destroying the demon will just banish it back to the
warp, if you want to kill it for good you need the psychic kickass guys").

That said, I agree that fielding small epic GK detachments is cool, but
any rule for them should necessarily keep in mind that:

A) they're rare (and thus pricey, and GK companies are out of the
question)
B) it makes sense to field them against chaos, not against anybody
else

Luca Lettieri