Re: NetEpic 5 : First Impression part 1 : Set-Up(Long!)

From: Toma Diener <peyoterattle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:47:46 -0000

Hello All!

Mr. Dean and I played our First Official Game using our newly Printed
HardCopy version of the NetEpic 5 rulebook.
 The game was....Interesting!

Subject to several odd difficulties having very little to do with the
actual Game, we nonetheless had a very enjoyable 'learning game'.

Difficulties we encountered not related to the Rules included:

1) We began the game substantially later than planned: rather than
Starting at our usually appointed time of Noon, we did not actually
begin rolling dice until closer to 4PM. Since we prefer "Big Games"
in our circle, this was problematic at best..

2) I am of the School of Thought that prefers an incredible amount of
Terrain on the Table: Brian has grown to accept this Idiosyncracy of
mine, but there is no Doubt he would have preferred a less complicated
Layout (pictures to follow)

3) I insisted that we play at our Regular Store (Brian wisely
suggested we play at His House; My feeling is that every Game should
be Public in order to increase awareness of NetEpic in the Houston
area. Again: he kindly agreed to my wishes in this matter). Because
we played in our Local Store, the game was subject to digression as we
greeted Friends, and explained NetEpic to interested Bystanders.
(This I feel was a -very- Positive thing: we planted "seeds of
interest" in at least three MechClix players to investigate the Slaan
Army. We also discovered at least three of our Friends had been Epic
Players in the past, and may play again in the future: my sense is
that I will be bringing multiple Armies in the future for 'loaner'
purposes. We also discovered at least three young 40K players who had
never really seen Epic beore: attracted by the Gorgeous Paint Brian
and I have on our Armies, at least one is interested in looking at
Epic Tau: Poor Kid!)

 With any Luck, we might have a Full NetEpic League by this time next
year.

Problems associated With the new RuleBook-

1) Because of the new Layout, certain tasks were slower. Brian and I
have played enough 3.2 to know _exactly_ what page and paragraph a
given rule is on should we need to access it. The New Book will take
a little getting used to before it becomes that 'intuitive. Ditto the
new Weapon summaries: although organized to allow quick reference and
well organized, it is New to us: it often took 2-3 times as long as it
should to locate a given Statistic. We took extra time to look at
each unit and weapon to integrate any revised weapon modifications we
may not have used previously ( on the _positive_ side: the 'NetEpic 5
Lite' is absolutely a Perfect TableTop 'quick reference guide').

2) Although I remembered to copy and laminate enough color-coded
Titan DataCards for our game, I didn't think far enough ahead to make
and laminate color-coded Army Summary sheets: D'Oh! This, I believe,
is essential for future games: We spent far too much time trying to
figure out where we had placed the generic looking white paper
summaries. A color-coded Army DataFax is such an easily made game
aide, I'm strongly of the Opinion it should be suggested in the Rules
somewhere- (We didn't have time or money this time to print out
NetEpic 5 Army Cards, which would have accomplished the same objective)

3) This is really the First time we used the correct methodology of
building Titans: the pen and paper method (actually Laminated Card and
WhiteBoard pens) slowed our start of the Game: neither of us had time
to prepare our Armies before arriving at the Venue, and this added
step felt "clunky"
   (I have a Suggestion: what about creating Titan Weapon Cards
similair in size and composition to the Ork MekBoy, Tyranid and Chaos
Cards? They could consist of the Cost and a Basic Summary of the
Weapon's Abilities. This would streamline the Titan Creation system,
making it more similair to the Army Creation process. It would also
add an extra layer of bricolage to the game, so it should be optional
IMO. I think it is a worthy addition, moreso because it would give an
harmonic echo of the original pre-printed Titan Cards from 1st ed
Adeptus Titanicus. Unless of course this already been thought of and
done...?)

OK: that's an overview of the Situation we played in: posts to
Follow will examine the Scenario, Army Composition, and Turn-by-Turn
analysis...)

ReB T'oma
Memetic Engineer Knight Kodesh
Head Designer, Wabi-Sabi Games
"If It's Wabi-Sabi, its Shabui Sho' 'Nuff!!"