Re: [NetEpic ML] (potentially stupid) rule questions

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:21:42 -0400 (EDT)

>A command stand can't assault an enemy unit and fire at it in the
>first fire phase... Is it correct?

Correct. The 'models that are pinned in Close Combat may not shoot ranged weapons' rule overrides the Command special ability.

If the Command unit is not pinned it can fire out of Close Combat normally, in the First Fire segment.

However, if the Command unit charged an enemy (i.e. it was "on Charge Orders" and intentionally encountered an enemy model) it may not fire at anything, pinnned or not.

>What about other units with advance orders, still engaged in HtH in
>the advance fire segment? Can they fire to their opponents, or not?

No. If a unit is pinned in Close Combat it can't shoot, unless special abilities specificly state that it can. Units that are not pinned may fire out of the Close Combat (or at their opponents - your choice).

>What happens when there is an obstruction to movement, like an
>infantry on the path of a Titan?

This is what the Overrun rule was put in for - it just doesn't make sense that a titan would stop at the very first infantry stand it encounters and stop. However, this makes larger units more powerful against infantry, e.g. a tank running longways down a row of infantry. We made it an optional rule to see how it works out. If you don't use it, then yes the Imperator Titan has to stop at the first stand of gretchin.

And if you use the Overrun rule, then anyone who has the 'cold-blooded and can fire into their own Close Combats' rule can overrun their own troops, too.

>Is it legal to put a unit on the edge of the battlefield so it can't
>be attacked from behind? (maybe lame, but legal)

Legal. Reeks of gamesmanship, but legal.

>If a regiment is broken, is the morale test made immediately?

Nope - count up break points at the end of the turn.

>What is the height of your hills? Higher than anything else, or just
>their real height?

There's such a variety or terrain out there we didn't try and make rules for it. Talk with your opponent and go over the battlefield. If you agree on a real-world line of sight, just measure the +30cm skimmer pop-up altitude and see if you have line of sight.

>What part of a model needs to be seen in order to shoot at it?

Again, it's up to you and your opponent to decide. I prefer the arguement that if you can draw a line from the center of the base to the center of the base you've got Line of Sight, and if you can see less than that the target has cover (-1 To-Hit). A friend of mine is pretty strict - if you can't see the center of the base you can't shoot at the model. Do what feels right.

>Thanks for your replies!

No problem. Thanks for demoing NetEpic!
-Yar

\~
 |~ ^
/~ |
         You are here. Wouldn't you rather be out there? -->