Re: GW Business Practises

From: Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:46:52 +0100 (BST)

Some of GW's business practises always seemed a little
odd to me. Principally the new lines they would
produce, support for a few months in White Dwarf and
then drop only to bring out a new edition and do
exactly the same to it a few years later.

It seemed such a waster of effort and money, why
divert the designers and sculptors away from the cash
cow core games? All I can think is that they were
trying to get one that was popular enough to become
another core game but the last of support always
seemed to doom them.

I like Epic and BFG (or at least their subject 6mm and
space/naval wargaming) but they are minority interests
in the GW market at least. Even Necromunda and
Mordheim (both of which badly need the NetEpic
treatment) but Inquisitor leaves me cold - too
complicated. I think the idea of 1/35th scale figures
for skirmishing is brilliant though - just look at all
those figures by Dragon, Tamiya and others just
begging to be converted. Even the wonderful old Airfix
multipose figures are available again albeit they are
1/32nd scale.

Now they are describing LotR as their third core game.
I don't think so boys. What does surprise me is that
they thought it would remain a significantly popular
game beyond the span of the three films. It is going
to fade away unless they make a film of the Hobbit -
or god forbid the Silmarillion.

Michael

  - Richelieu