Re: GW Business Practises

From: Tim Johns <tmjohns9_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:13:55 -0000

I'm still trying to figure out why GW was surprised that the LoTR
bubble burst. I could have told them that interest would wain after
Return of the King was released.

BTW, there is already talk of making The Hobbit into a (non-
animated) movie.

--- In netepic_at_yahoogroups.com, Michael Robert Blair
<pellinoire_at_y...> wrote:
> Some of GW's business practises always seemed a little
> odd to me. Principally the new lines they would
> produce, support for a few months in White Dwarf and
> then drop only to bring out a new edition and do
> exactly the same to it a few years later.
>
> It seemed such a waster of effort and money, why
> divert the designers and sculptors away from the cash
> cow core games? All I can think is that they were
> trying to get one that was popular enough to become
> another core game but the last of support always
> seemed to doom them.
>
> I like Epic and BFG (or at least their subject 6mm and
> space/naval wargaming) but they are minority interests
> in the GW market at least. Even Necromunda and
> Mordheim (both of which badly need the NetEpic
> treatment) but Inquisitor leaves me cold - too
> complicated. I think the idea of 1/35th scale figures
> for skirmishing is brilliant though - just look at all
> those figures by Dragon, Tamiya and others just
> begging to be converted. Even the wonderful old Airfix
> multipose figures are available again albeit they are
> 1/32nd scale.
>
> Now they are describing LotR as their third core game.
> I don't think so boys. What does surprise me is that
> they thought it would remain a significantly popular
> game beyond the span of the three films. It is going
> to fade away unless they make a film of the Hobbit -
> or god forbid the Silmarillion.
>
> Michael
>
> It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of
this has done what he has done.

with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com