RE: [NetEpic ML] Monday Night Game: some doubts

From: ciber nyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:11:49 +0200

-->Answers below

cibernyam

> To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
> From: crystalmir_at_...
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:47:55 +0200
> Subject: [NetEpic ML] Monday Night Game: some doubts
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> Yesterday I played, at last, a 3000 pts game against a friend. I had my
> faithful Squat and I was against an Imperial Guard army.
>
> The game went quite well for me, I reached the 40 VPs target at the end of
> turn three. I had a Gyrocopters and Bikers company supported by two
> Overlords, a Colossus, a Mole, a Thuderers detachement mounted on Rhinos,
> two Thunder Fire Cannons and a Thudd Guns battery. My opponent fielded nine
> Thunderbolt Fighters, a Shadowsword company, a Rough Riders company, one
> detachment of Leman Russ, Hydra and Hellounds, a Leviathan and some officers
> and Commissars.
>
> Having been idle for a while, some doubts came up during the game, either
> because of our not-so-well english, or because I remembered old Space Marine
> rules non longer in use or whatever.. Anyway, 'ere we go:
>
> 1) Victory Pts Calculation
> It comes mainly from our inability to properly understand how the rule is
> written. We had two different ideas. I write you what happend, I think it's
> more clear.
>
> In Turn 1 I conquered 4 Objective markers and broke a Thunderbolts
> detachement (I assume they are worth 2 VPs)
> In Turn 2 I still have the 4 objectives, but in the meantime I broke two
> other Thunderbolts detachements.
>
> Now... At the end of Turn 1 I have 22 Pts (5x4 Objective markers + 2 for the
> broken unit).
>
> In turn 2? I would say 26 (5x4 Markers + 3x2 broken units) but my friend's
> idea is 28 (That is 20 for the markers, 2 for the broken unit in turn 1, 6
> for the broken units in turn 2). His idea is that the VPs for broken unit's
> "cumulate" from turn to turn.
>
> Who's right?!?

-->You are right.

> 2) Entering Buildings
> In turn 1 my Rhinos Charged towards an high building (6 inches tall) and
> unloaded the Thunderers inside in Advance order. We usually trace LOS for
> unit's inside buildings from the rooftop, but my friend argued that it was
> unrealistic for the Squats to be on the rooftop by the advance fire segment.
> So we went for a "half and half" and I traced LOS from the half height of
> the building. How's the ruling for such a situation?

-->My understanding is that you may trace LOS from any height of the building, since your unit is spread on different floors and can take their position depending ion the target they are aiming to. Note that it also will apply to your opponent, that is, may fire to your unit having LOS to any height of the building. I have never measured vertical movement in the buildings.

> 3) Snap Fire & Flipping Orders
> It's just a small doubt my opponent raised. During the movement phase we
> happened to flip First Fire orders to "wait" to see the opponent's
> movements. Can the units with flipped over FF orders Snap Fire? We went for
> "Yes" but just to be sure....

-->My understanding is that units on first fire cannot be 'flipped' in movement phase with the purpose to skip your move.

> 4) My opponent is scared like hell by Overlords. Are they really that good?
> ^__^

-->All units are good if wisely used, all units are bad if not. There are no invincible units for the same reason that there are no useless units. A powerful unit is balanced by its cost, which reduce your numbers and tactical possibilities; and the opposite for cannon fodder. Moreover, your deployment and tactical combination with other units makes units better or worse.

> 5) Only other Fliers (or Infantry, or AA) can shoot at Fliers. Can a Floater
> snap shot at a flier? To be more precise, can a Overlord that still have to
> move fire his lovely 10 dice to a unit of charging Thunderbolts, with the
> usual -1 to hit?

-->well, this is a tricky one, since the Overlord is a bit too specific a floater going into high altitude and so on. I would say yes but maybe some discussion would be appropriated.

Explore the seven wonders of the world