Monday Night Game: some doubts

From: Andrea \ <crystalmir_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:47:55 +0200

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I played, at last, a 3000 pts game against a friend. I had my
faithful Squat and I was against an Imperial Guard army.

The game went quite well for me, I reached the 40 VPs target at the end of
turn three. I had a Gyrocopters and Bikers company supported by two
Overlords, a Colossus, a Mole, a Thuderers detachement mounted on Rhinos,
two Thunder Fire Cannons and a Thudd Guns battery. My opponent fielded nine
Thunderbolt Fighters, a Shadowsword company, a Rough Riders company, one
detachment of Leman Russ, Hydra and Hellounds, a Leviathan and some officers
and Commissars.

Having been idle for a while, some doubts came up during the game, either
because of our not-so-well english, or because I remembered old Space Marine
rules non longer in use or whatever.. Anyway, 'ere we go:

1) Victory Pts Calculation
It comes mainly from our inability to properly understand how the rule is
written. We had two different ideas. I write you what happend, I think it's
more clear.

In Turn 1 I conquered 4 Objective markers and broke a Thunderbolts
detachement (I assume they are worth 2 VPs)
In Turn 2 I still have the 4 objectives, but in the meantime I broke two
other Thunderbolts detachements.

Now... At the end of Turn 1 I have 22 Pts (5x4 Objective markers + 2 for the
broken unit).

In turn 2? I would say 26 (5x4 Markers + 3x2 broken units) but my friend's
idea is 28 (That is 20 for the markers, 2 for the broken unit in turn 1, 6
for the broken units in turn 2). His idea is that the VPs for broken unit's
"cumulate" from turn to turn.

Who's right?!?

2) Entering Buildings
In turn 1 my Rhinos Charged towards an high building (6 inches tall) and
unloaded the Thunderers inside in Advance order. We usually trace LOS for
unit's inside buildings from the rooftop, but my friend argued that it was
unrealistic for the Squats to be on the rooftop by the advance fire segment.
So we went for a "half and half" and I traced LOS from the half height of
the building. How's the ruling for such a situation?

3) Snap Fire & Flipping Orders
It's just a small doubt my opponent raised. During the movement phase we
happened to flip First Fire orders to "wait" to see the opponent's
movements. Can the units with flipped over FF orders Snap Fire? We went for
"Yes" but just to be sure....

4) My opponent is scared like hell by Overlords. Are they really that good?
^__^

5) Only other Fliers (or Infantry, or AA) can shoot at Fliers. Can a Floater
snap shot at a flier? To be more precise, can a Overlord that still have to
move fire his lovely 10 dice to a unit of charging Thunderbolts, with the
usual -1 to hit?

Ok.. I think I asked you nearly everything.

Men, I love this game!!!

Deda