Re: Fw: [NetEpic ML] Digest Number 2060

From: Peter Ramos <pramos10_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:11:03 -0500

Hi!

Bruce Scott wrote:

> Having been idle for a while, some doubts came up during the game, either
> because of our not-so-well english, or because I remembered old Space
Marine
> rules non longer in use or whatever.. Anyway, 'ere we go:
>
> 1) Victory Pts Calculation
> It comes mainly from our inability to properly understand how the rule is
> written. We had two different ideas. I write you what happend, I
think it's
> more clear.
>
> In Turn 1 I conquered 4 Objective markers and broke a Thunderbolts
> detachement (I assume they are worth 2 VPs)
> In Turn 2 I still have the 4 objectives, but in the meantime I broke two
> other Thunderbolts detachements.
>
> Now... At the end of Turn 1 I have 22 Pts (5x4 Objective markers + 2
for the
> broken unit).
>
> In turn 2? I would say 26 (5x4 Markers + 3x2 broken units) but my
friend's
> idea is 28 (That is 20 for the markers, 2 for the broken unit in turn
1, 6
> for the broken units in turn 2). His idea is that the VPs for broken
unit's
> "cumulate" from turn to turn.
>
> Who's right?!?
>
> - You are. VP calculation is fresh at the end of each turn.

Correct its 26 VP.

> 2) Entering Buildings
> In turn 1 my Rhinos Charged towards an high building (6 inches tall) and
> unloaded the Thunderers inside in Advance order. We usually trace LOS for
> unit's inside buildings from the rooftop, but my friend argued that
it was
> unrealistic for the Squats to be on the rooftop by the advance fire
segment.
> So we went for a "half and half" and I traced LOS from the half height of
> the building. How's the ruling for such a situation?

Epic has no rules for the diverse floors in a building. They existed
briefly under AT in a WD article. When you enter a building BY DEFAULT
you place them on the roof becuase there is NO OTHER place to put them.
In other words entering a building means you are on the roof and get
line of sight from there.

If you wish to house rule more complex rules for floors in buildings
thats another matter.

> - It costs 5cms of movement to enter a building (Structure
Characteristics - P20). You also lose 5cm of movement to unload from a
transport, so it is basically impossible for Thunderers on Advance to
get into a building. However, if you pay the 5cm penalty, you're inside
and you can place the infantry where ever you like then.

Yes, correct.

> 3) Snap Fire & Flipping Orders
> It's just a small doubt my opponent raised. During the movement phase we
> happened to flip First Fire orders to "wait" to see the opponent's
> movements. Can the units with flipped over FF orders Snap Fire? We
went for
> "Yes" but just to be sure....

Yes, but you should "Flip" ANY units until its activated, since it ruins
the fog of war feel.

> - Yes. They haven't actually done anything...you've just revealed
their orders.

> 4) My opponent is scared like hell by Overlords. Are they really that
good?
> ^__^
>
> - Under the Flier Rules in NE5.0 Overlords are unbelievably good.

They are VERY good and expensive. But what people dont understand that
ANY hit has a one in six chance of destroying it. Soot at it often and
they usually go down.

> 5) Only other Fliers (or Infantry, or AA) can shoot at Fliers. Can a
Floater
> snap shot at a flier? To be more precise, can a Overlord that still
have to
> move fire his lovely 10 dice to a unit of charging Thunderbolts, with the
> usual -1 to hit?
>
> - Actually other fliers cannot shoot at fliers under the standard
rules. The Overlords' weakness is other fliers in CC, but of course you
can't be pinned, so it is tricky to get to fight the Overlord sometimes.

Good enough interpretation.

Peter