Re: [NetEpic ML] New member-

From: domgarnett <domgarnett_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:41:11 -0000

Thanks for the response.

Lots to take in, but I think the best way to learn would surely be to
play someone!

Particularly interested in some rule changes- I think popular
agreement and modifications can only be a good thing. I like the idea
of "Titan building" for example- far better for customization and
accurate/fair points values. Personally I thought that
titan "companies" -groups of three usually- were rather cheap in
SM2/titan legions- has this changed too therefore?

I take it I can also still build my army in the same fashion, ie:
company card, then add supports/special card?

The hidden orders system also seems like a good development -for me
one of the most exciting bits of SM2 was putting up a screen before
deployment and then having the surprise element of suddenly seeing
the enemy positions.

Anyway- would be good to hear from any other players, and especially
anyone in the SW!!

Dominic

--- In netepic_at_yahoogroups.com, Peter Ramos <pramos10@...> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> domgarnett wrote:
> >
> > Hello Net Epic Fans,
> >
> > Good to see a few people still playing epic based on the best
set of
> > rules! 2nd Edition "Space Marine" was my favourite game of all
time.
> > In fact, even though I'm probably old enough to know better, I
would
> > like to play again.
>
> Welcome to the group!
> >
> > So what has really changed? Is Net Epic pretty much 2nd edition,
plus
> > extra rules? And is there still a decent core of gamers out
there?

> You can download the latest set of rules in the files section of
the
> yahoo group. While the core mechanics remain the same there have
been
> LOTS of changes. This is a very brief summary:
>
> Here are the main NetEpic Highlights.
>
> 1. At its core it uses the SM2/TL. This means orders (first fire,
> charge, advance and fallback). To hit values, weapons with "x"
numbers
> of attack dice and a save modifier applied as a penalty to the
targets
> armor save. Beyond that, the details and even some core mechanics
have
> changed so much as not to have any similarity with its roots.
>
> 2. Unlike Sm2/TL is has "alternating" activation. I really
dislike "you
> go I go" mechanics that GW is fond of. In Netepic you choose one
unit to
> reveal its orders then move it. It does not resolve combat until
that
> phase (which is also alternating), but unlike E:A you don't move
and
> resolve the combat action which is what true modern alternating
> activations look like.
>
> 3. Fog of war. Order are held secret (unturned) until the moment
the
> unit actually moves. This was a simple but highly effective way of
> introducing uncertainty into thee game without cumbersome
mechanics. In
> the original SM rules you would reveals all your orders thus seeing
what
> the opponent would do. Coupled with "I go you go" nature of
movement it
> was too static and predictable. Now, guessing keeps you on your
toes and
> a nice action/reaction ensues during play keeping players involved.
This
> probably is one of the best things we did for the game.
>
> 4. Overwatch (snap fire). We brought this back from the first
edition
> rules. A tactical game just isn't complete without a manner of
> interdicting movement. I was surprised SM2 didn't use this rule. It
was
> easy to add to the game and the benefits are very tactical in
nature and
> did not unbalance the system.
>
> 5. Titans. For many this is the aspect that draws them to the game.
The
> mighty lords of destruction blasting all before it. Of course most
> incarnations of the game failed to deliver this (Sm2/TL included).
The
> only game version in my opinion that got the titan rules "right"
was
> first edition AT. Those who played under that system know what I
mean,
> titans were TOUGH, until hit by another titan... which is the point!
>
> We borrowed heavily from that system. Netepic re-introudced the
titan
> build system. You buy an empty chassis and "arm" you titan. This
> determines cost and VP yield. SM/TL had a silly system where all
titans
> cost the same regardless of weapons. All weapons are NOT created
equal,
> thus cost should vary.
>
> We also modified the titan weapons to be more like their AT
equivalents.
> We brought back the titan "electrohulls" (point defense), no longer
> would titans be easy meat for hordes of lowly infantry.
>
> Another popular rule was are changes to the eldar holofields and
their
> vulnerability to barrage weapons, which made them unfieldable under
> standard SM2 rules. While they still ignore holofields they now
ALWAYS
> scatter (you can "lock on to it"), thus phantoms now grace the
tabletops
> once more....
>
> Titans are now worth their points. They are tough, not
invulnerable, but
> tough.
>
> 6. Praetorians and super heavies. The rules for these in SM2
were...well
> ... awful... A single hit and failed save would kill the mighty
Capitol
> Imperialis.... no good. Some Super heavies were worth the price of
> titans, why treat them as a lesser class?
>
> Under Netepic these guys have templates to determine hit locations,
just
> like titans. They are now worth their points and this also made the
> squat army very competitive versus titan heavy armies.
>
> "Smaller" super heavies like the baneblade have a more streamlined
> damage table. Not as good as praetorians, but worth their points.
>
> The name Praetorians is the very old (first edition era) name for
things
> on the size of the Leviathan and CI.
>
> 7. Psy system. One of the things people liked about SM/TL were all
the
> neat powers or "spells" different psychic units could do.
>
> The system was quite unbalanced as GW put it out. NetEpic
eliminated the