Re: [NetEpic ML] New member-

From: Peter Ramos <pramos10_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:10:23 -0500

Hi!

domgarnett wrote:

> Hello Net Epic Fans,
>
> Good to see a few people still playing epic based on the best set of
> rules! 2nd Edition "Space Marine" was my favourite game of all time.
> In fact, even though I'm probably old enough to know better, I would
> like to play again.

Welcome to the group!

> So what has really changed? Is Net Epic pretty much 2nd edition, plus
> extra rules? And is there still a decent core of gamers out there?

You can download the latest set of rules in the files section of the
yahoo group. While the core mechanics remain the same there have been
LOTS of changes. This is a very brief summary:

Here are the main NetEpic Highlights.

1. At its core it uses the SM2/TL. This means orders (first fire,
charge, advance and fallback). To hit values, weapons with "x" numbers
of attack dice and a save modifier applied as a penalty to the targets
armor save. Beyond that, the details and even some core mechanics have
changed so much as not to have any similarity with its roots.

2. Unlike Sm2/TL is has "alternating" activation. I really dislike "you
go I go" mechanics that GW is fond of. In Netepic you choose one unit to
reveal its orders then move it. It does not resolve combat until that
phase (which is also alternating), but unlike E:A you don't move and
resolve the combat action which is what true modern alternating
activations look like.

3. Fog of war. Order are held secret (unturned) until the moment the
unit actually moves. This was a simple but highly effective way of
introducing uncertainty into thee game without cumbersome mechanics. In
the original SM rules you would reveals all your orders thus seeing what
the opponent would do. Coupled with "I go you go" nature of movement it
was too static and predictable. Now, guessing keeps you on your toes and
a nice action/reaction ensues during play keeping players involved. This
probably is one of the best things we did for the game.

4. Overwatch (snap fire). We brought this back from the first edition
rules. A tactical game just isn't complete without a manner of
interdicting movement. I was surprised SM2 didn't use this rule. It was
easy to add to the game and the benefits are very tactical in nature and
did not unbalance the system.

5. Titans. For many this is the aspect that draws them to the game. The
mighty lords of destruction blasting all before it. Of course most
incarnations of the game failed to deliver this (Sm2/TL included). The
only game version in my opinion that got the titan rules "right" was
first edition AT. Those who played under that system know what I mean,
titans were TOUGH, until hit by another titan... which is the point!

We borrowed heavily from that system. Netepic re-introudced the titan
build system. You buy an empty chassis and "arm" you titan. This
determines cost and VP yield. SM/TL had a silly system where all titans
cost the same regardless of weapons. All weapons are NOT created equal,
thus cost should vary.

We also modified the titan weapons to be more like their AT equivalents.
We brought back the titan "electrohulls" (point defense), no longer
would titans be easy meat for hordes of lowly infantry.

Another popular rule was are changes to the eldar holofields and their
vulnerability to barrage weapons, which made them unfieldable under
standard SM2 rules. While they still ignore holofields they now ALWAYS
scatter (you can "lock on to it"), thus phantoms now grace the tabletops
once more....

Titans are now worth their points. They are tough, not invulnerable, but
tough.

6. Praetorians and super heavies. The rules for these in SM2 were...well
... awful... A single hit and failed save would kill the mighty Capitol
Imperialis.... no good. Some Super heavies were worth the price of
titans, why treat them as a lesser class?

Under Netepic these guys have templates to determine hit locations, just
like titans. They are now worth their points and this also made the
squat army very competitive versus titan heavy armies.

"Smaller" super heavies like the baneblade have a more streamlined
damage table. Not as good as praetorians, but worth their points.

The name Praetorians is the very old (first edition era) name for things
on the size of the Leviathan and CI.

7. Psy system. One of the things people liked about SM/TL were all the
neat powers or "spells" different psychic units could do.

The system was quite unbalanced as GW put it out. NetEpic eliminated the
extra psychic phase introduced by TL and strictly defined what power can
and cannot do.

This eliminated a lot of confusion and arguments that these powers
during play caused.

8. One "feature" of netepic is that pretty much everything ever produced
by GW has rules for it, including FW models. IF there is a model for it,
NetEpic will make rules for it. One guideline we strive to follow is
that we NEVER eliminate models or units. People invest time and money in
their armies, we won't deny them the use of them by deleting stuff.

We have included some armies GW never made like Slann and a different
take of the Necrons (besides the currently more GW faithful Necron lists).

I know there are quite a few UK people in the group whom play netepic,
hopefully they will post a reply.

> I am based in SW England and have a large, fully painted ork army which
> sadly hasn't seen a good battle for several years. Question is, where
> can I get a game?
>
> Dominic

Peter