[NetEpic ML] Re: R: Decision, decisions, what to do with the revision?

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:16:04 -0800

Hi Peter and Everyone!

I really like freebies! And, not because you get something, for
nothing. I like them because they encourage players to take the units
that give each race it's unique flavor.

What would the Eldar be, without the Wind Rider Host, Wave Serpent
Squadrons, Eldar Tempest Host, Spirit Host, etc... Not to mention the
free Avatar, and Free Card? Each one gives you something for free, or
gives you an advantage.

But lets talk about Titan Battle Groups now, shall we?

Not far from where I live is a Steakhouse. At the entrance to the place
sits a 40 ounce steak. If you can eat the steak, and all the trimmings,
your meal is FREE.

Now with a DEAL like that, you would expect a lot of people to get a
free meal. But, you know what? It hardly ever happens. Most people
just can't eat a meal that large.

Battle Groups are like that BIG meal. A Titan Battle Group, is a major
expense, that most of the time, I just can't stomach. Most of the games
I play, are in the 5000-6000 range. If I do take a Titan Group, it's
for the surpise value. The Free Hull just makes the choice palatable.

All the major races, have this option. So the points are ballanced.
Every one gets a chance to eat that 40 ounce steak, and suffer the
Heartburn.

Did I mention Heartburn?
The Big Mob really suffers, when the Command Gargant is put out of
action. And the Eldar, forced to stay within 25cm, when they are so
fast and agile? Battle Groups are forced to work together.

Freebies have a place in the game. They encourage us to make choices we
might not usually make. They encourage us to use tactics, and make
decisions, as our individual races do. They encourage diversity, and
give a unique richness to the game. Without them, the game loses some
of that juicy flavor.

And, who wants to play a game like that?

Warprat ;)