[NetEpic ML] Re: R: Decision, decisions,what to do with the revision?

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:01:17 +1000

At 08:55 PM 3/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
>just worried bout fairness for the game balance. One other thing if the
>multi missiles get a -1 TSM why not give the Eldar Titans wing missiles the
>same thing. This would be in all fairness to game balance would it not? I'am
>not a big Eldar player and probaly never will be, but I play against them
>all the time. And if are going to change the weapon for one race I feel as
>though we should change it for all races. For I'am sure all Eldar players
>could put in all the same beefs that the Imp players have about the multi
>missiles about the wing missiles.
>Dose anybody eles feel this way?
>Please voice yourselfs on this!

<Rant mode ON>

Well to take the opposite view, I don't think the Wing Launcher needs the
review or that "if we change it for one race, we change it for everyone"
applies. And I really don't think Eldar players CAN make the same
arguements that the Imperial players can.

Argument 1: Look at it from the point of view of the actual miniatures.
The Multi-launcher is a very large, Hardpoint-mounted launcher with a
proliferation of launch-tubes, which themselves are fairly large, on it.
The Eldar Wing-launcher is mounted as part of another system (i.e. it ISN'T
hardpoint-mounted and therefore is not a major weapon), is much smaller and
has fewer, and smaller, launch tubes on it. The Imperial Launcher simply
LOOKS more powerful.

Arguement 2: Look at similar weapon types. The opposite number of the
Eldar Launcher is the Las-Cannon wing, a light AT weapon. Should we
upgrade it to become like the Imperial Equivalent, the Turbo-Laser
Destructor? Heck no! Its simply a light weapon placed in the Wing housing
to supply some extra light firepower. The Imperial Multi-launcher was
pretty much the same as the Eldar Launcher, but twice the price! The
Multi-launcher was a major Titan weapon that sucked and was overpriced
(50points). The Eldar Launcher is a light-support Titan weapon that
reflects its price (25pts). Its a light Anti-Personnel weapon. Always has
been (even in Adeptus Titanicus IIRC).

Argument 3: History. For those old fogeys here on the list, the
Multi-launcher was once a weapon of terror. You looked across the table at
your opponent's Titan and moaned with fear when you saw it mounted two
multi-launchers. You knew your forces we going to get seriously hammered.
Then along came Space Marine and Titan Legions. One look at the
Multi-launcher stats and you wondered what you were going to do with your
launcher-mounted Titans. It was pitiful. So with a nostalgic tear in our
eyes we retired our faithful Titans or (gods forbid!) took to them with
scalpel and superglue to re-arm them. To review and improve the
Multi-launcher is only fair so as to give it back SOME of its former glory.

We've improved the Multi-launcher, but at the same time we've made it more
expensive so as to increase its appeal within a plethora of other weapons.
The appeal of the Eldar weapon is that it is so cheap and one of only two
options, so it really doesn't need an upgrade. It is balanced by price
already. In no way are we trying to unbalance the game, only improve it.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."