[NetEpic ML] Re: Eldar Holofields

From: Lorenzo Canapicchi <canapi_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:47:21 +0100

Kelvin wrote:
> This is a really good idea that I had tossed around for a while, but in the
> end I rejected it. Why you ask? It's a matter of targetting. If there
> happen to be Eldar units gathered around the base of the Titan and the
> opposition fires a direct barrage at said units he will be mighty honked of
> if this is forced to scatter because of the Titan's Holofield.
> Alternatively, the Eldar Player will be mighty honked off if the barrage
> does NOT scatter becuase the barrage is not targetting the Titan, but the
> troops.

Uh?, no I really don't see the problem, let's see what could happen:

1) You want to shot at the Titan => you treat your fire as indirect,
choose the titan as target, _place the template on it_ and then roll for
scatter as indirect

2) You don't want to hit the titan but want to fire directly to the
troops => Holofields never warks obviously and fire at will to troops
(template never scatters)

3) You want fire an indirect barrage, so nominate a point and roll for
scatter normally.

where is the problem?

> This will eventually lead to one of two problems:
>
> A. People playing the Eldar will simply say they are not specifically
> targetting the Titan in order to avoid the scatter - "Oh darn, look. Your
> Phantom just HAPPENED to be caught by the barrage. Shucks."

Maybe you talk about Imperial linked templates, so the rules remain the
same if the template it's over the titan he _must_scatter
If this isn't the case I really don't understand the sentence:
"People playng eldar will simply say they are not specifically
targetting the (Phantom?) Titan ...etc.."

> B. Eldar players will abuse the protection of the Holofield by clustering
> troops around it so as to force the barrages to scatter -

Ah ah ah! force what??? Holofields works only on titans not on troops
gathering around the base (at least if you don't want to fit your titan
base with bikes :PPP really funny an Autobus "phantom" titan eh eh, no
you cannot place your trrops over your titan base)

> "Oh, you're
> targetting my Wind Rider host with that barrage? But it hits my Titan!
> Holofield scatter please!

Just say: "suck this!" your wind rider host never have an holofield
defense :o) who cares if the titan is near? there isn't any rules
stating that holofields works for nearest infantry or veichle, it only
works _on_ Titan, so take this bombshell in front please.

> I don't care if you don't want to hit my Titan,

so I should care about your titan's holofields??? eh eh start gathering
spirit stones...

> it still does! Why do you think I placed all the Bikers there in the first
> place?

to be roasted? :)

> Scatter please! No, I still don't care if all 3 of your Bombards
> can see them clear as day, scatter damn it!"

not if I don't directly _target_ your titan ...

> See the problem? And if you have never played against the type of people I
> have quoted above, come to Brisbane and I'll introduce you to a who club
> full of them! This is why I proposed my other options. The scatter is a
> really good idea, but would be really hard to implement without a whole
> plethora of special rules.

Let me say that my usual gaming group it's full of such whining
opponents :o) for example my usual Imp opponent it's master on this (ah!
just 1 mm out of the center of the base!!! you're failed to hit my
stand!!) I played against people that really invented new rules at the
moment, or took advantage on cheesy tricks, I know them very well like
most of us I think :o)

--
Lorenzo Canapicchi
mailto:canapicc_at_...