[NetEpic ML] Re: Eldar Holofields

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:20:16 -0800

lorenzo canapicchi <canap-_at_...> wrote:

> Kelvin wrote:
> > This is a really good idea that I had tossed around for a while,
but in the
> > end I rejected it. Why you ask? It's a matter of targetting. If
there
> > happen to be Eldar units gathered around the base of the Titan and
the
> > opposition fires a direct barrage at said units he will be mighty
honked of
> > if this is forced to scatter because of the Titan's Holofield.
> > Alternatively, the Eldar Player will be mighty honked off if the
barrage
> > does NOT scatter becuase the barrage is not targetting the Titan,
but the
> > troops.
>
> Uh?, no I really don't see the problem, let's see what could happen:

I think the problem he's reffering to is: what happens if the barrage
template covers BOTH a Titan and some other unit? Either you scatter
(and so the holofield protection gets "extended" to the other unit) or
you don't (and the Titan loses holofield protection due to the
closeness of the other unit).

My proposal: place the barrage template without scattering, and resolve
hits on all units EXCEPT the titan. Then roll for scatter: if it
scatters off the titan model, you've missed it; otherwise resolve the
hit on the titan too.
This adds a little more work, but consider this: how often will this
situation come up (especially knowing you're not getting any "rule
loophole bonus" for it)?

Luca Lettieri