RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: APC and infantry saves

From: Karlsen Rune <rune.karlsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:46:55 +0200

I think this bailout thingy is going a bit too far here.
Previously, there were no saves. Inf in a toasted vehicle
were toast as well. Now, we're giving them a bailout chance.
This is a good idea, and i endorse it. BUT, giving them
an additional armor save based on the inf. own armour
is kinda cheesy. When a vehicle you're sitting in gets it,
you don't have the time to see it coming. You're sitting in
the back, rolling along, and some asshole opens up on you
with his volcano cannon. You don't have the time to say "
Oh, look, that awful chap over there is firing his nasty
big gun at us. What say you chaps, should we all hop out
before it gets uncomfortable?". In reality, there would
be no bailout chance. I think all inf in vehicles should
get their basic saving throw, modified by the weapon modifier.
If they make it, they got out, smoking, but in one piece.
If not, they weren't fast enough or their armour didn't take
it. This is IMHO the most realistic and easiest solution.
Besides, it should be dangerous to sit in a vehicle which
is under fire. We've used the 4+ rule on bailout in my group,
but i'm not quite happy with it, although it does work, it
can give a too great advantae. Lets not go from zero chance
of survival to 50% plus armour save without thinking this over
a bit. It would be nice, but is it realistic?

Rune