Re: [NetEpic ML] Eldar and Orks

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:44:31 -0500

Hi!

> > As the IG issues are sorted out we will continue with Eldar and orks.
> >
> > As mentioned before all variants and non-original material will be moved
out
> > to the optional book (damn that book is going to be big!), so you need
not
> > comment on those.
>

> Perhaps we need to make it in two parts....

Weasel's idea of including the optional stuff within the same booklet is
pretty good.

> > Eldar.
> >
> > The only two units to get a lot of flak traditionally are the
doomweaver,
> > wave serpent and prism cannon.
>

> For myself, I don't like all the Falcon variants like the Command Falcon
and
> the Peregrine and so forth. I think we only need ONE type of Falcon
regardless
> of the actual minis you use.

Those go to the optional pile.

> > As for the doomweaver, perhaps a standard barrage attack is best.
>

> I like the different rules for it. Its a unique Elf weapon. I don't have
an
> issue with it.

I suspect this may be the feeling of many others too.

> > In the case of the wave serpent, my objections are usually defining the
> > interactions of the shield with other weapons in the game, not that it
> > protects well. Also I think the "offensive" capabilities of the shield
are
> > not warranted, since this is mainly a defensive unit.
>

> The offensive capabilities of the Wave Serpent were intended to be used as
> way to disrupt the enemy right before you unload your assault troops on
them.
> As is usual, people stopped using them for their original purpose and
started
> to use the Wave Serpent for just about everything. I don't have much of a
> problem with the Wave Serpent (I have long since worked out how to trash
them)
> but I suppose we could get rid of the ability to 'fire' the wave.

This seems to be the favored optioned. I'd either eliminate it or lower its
range.

> The only Ork unit I don't like is the Mega-Gargant (or by its other name
> Mega-WasteOfPoints). It sucks. I think we should either reduce its cost
> make it a bit more effective (1300 or 1200 points) or change the range on
the
> Gun Decks (the forward 90 degree arc, 8 dice, 4+ to hit, -2 TSM cannons)
from
> the current pitiful 50cm to a more effective 75cm. That would definitely
make
> the Mega-Gargant more worth while. Currently I know of no Ork Players who
find
> it to be a cost effective unit. I know I only ever fielded them twice
(the
> second time to make sure they didn't suck as much as I thought).

I have to agree with you. This unit cant even stand up to the warlord which
duely armed can nail the mega-gargant by keeping more than 50cm away.

What bothers me is that the gun decks which are battle cannon have a 50cm
range when all other battle cannons in the ork army have a 75cm range. Its
this inconsistancy that I think we should eliminate. By increasing the range
of the guns it makes this unit worth its 1500.

I have played this unit alot and it really does suck. I prefer the great
gargant by far to thie mega-gargant.

I would strongly suggest to increase the range on these, if not to severely
reduce its points.

Peter