Re: [NetEpic ML] Eldar and Orks

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 13:04:14 +1000

At 10:25 AM 4/5/00 -0500, Peter wrote:

> As the IG issues are sorted out we will continue with Eldar and orks.
>
> As mentioned before all variants and non-original material will be moved out
> to the optional book (damn that book is going to be big!), so you need not
> comment on those.

Perhaps we need to make it in two parts....

> Eldar.
>
> The only two units to get a lot of flak traditionally are the doomweaver,
> wave serpent and prism cannon.

For myself, I don't like all the Falcon variants like the Command Falcon and
the Peregrine and so forth. I think we only need ONE type of Falcon regardless
of the actual minis you use.

> As for the doomweaver, perhaps a standard barrage attack is best.

I like the different rules for it. Its a unique Elf weapon. I don't have an
issue with it.

> In the case of the wave serpent, my objections are usually defining the
> interactions of the shield with other weapons in the game, not that it
> protects well. Also I think the "offensive" capabilities of the shield are
> not warranted, since this is mainly a defensive unit.

The offensive capabilities of the Wave Serpent were intended to be used as a
way to disrupt the enemy right before you unload your assault troops on them.
As is usual, people stopped using them for their original purpose and started
to use the Wave Serpent for just about everything. I don't have much of a
problem with the Wave Serpent (I have long since worked out how to trash them)
but I suppose we could get rid of the ability to 'fire' the wave.

> The prism cannon rules are excessively fiddly and prone to misunderstanding.
> They need to be streamlined.

Yes. But just streamlining.

> Orks.
> I dont have any real objection on any particular weapon. The orks by their
> nature are kinda fiddly to begin with and its part of their character.

The only Ork unit I don't like is the Mega-Gargant (or by its other name
Mega-WasteOfPoints). It sucks. I think we should either reduce its cost to
make it a bit more effective (1300 or 1200 points) or change the range on the
Gun Decks (the forward 90 degree arc, 8 dice, 4+ to hit, -2 TSM cannons) from
the current pitiful 50cm to a more effective 75cm. That would definitely make
the Mega-Gargant more worth while. Currently I know of no Ork Players who find
it to be a cost effective unit. I know I only ever fielded them twice (the
second time to make sure they didn't suck as much as I thought).

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."