Re: [NetEpic ML] Eldar and Orks

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:38:25 +1000

At 08:22 PM 4/11/00 -0700, Warprat wrote:
>Hi again, Kelvin!

Hello to you, Warprat.

>Comments on your comments on my comments.

So these would be my comments on your comments on my comments on your first
comments then?

>> I've always been aware of it and never had a problem with it as I use my
>> Gargants as fire-support for my Klans. I think in the years I've been
>> playing Orks I've engaged something in CC with a Gargant ONCE. Sure I'VE
>> been the target of CC plenty of times, but I've only initiated it ONCE.
>> With all the shooty weapons available to Gargants and nowhere else in the
>> list, my Gargants are usually used as gun-platforms.
>
>I've got a really cool Great Gargant with a Snapper and a Ripper Fist.
>I'm gathering parts to make a Slasher with a Snapper and two Ripper
>Fists. I think it's great to see titans fighting in Close Combat. But
>your right, it doesn't happen often.

I agree that its something that should happen more often. I always DID
want to play a twin Ripper Fist-Snapper Gargant but never got around to
purchasing the bits I needed.

>In one game, a couple of months ago, my Snapper Gargant got to pin and
>decapitate a Warhound titan. What made this even more sweet, was that
>after rolling for the extra snapper movement, it took every last
>centimeter of movement. I gambled, and won. It could have gone either
>way.

Heh. Serves the little puppy right. But I always thought that we should
have an upgrade available to Titans armed with Power Fists: The Rolled-Up
Newspaper to deal with all those pesky Warhounds! Cause a hit in CC with
the Rolled Up Newspaper and the Warhound must make a save on its Nose, erm,
Head location. If it fails, it is placed on Fall-Back orders until it
leaves the table! ("Bad dog!" <WHACK> "YIPE, YIPE, YIPE, YIPE, YIPE!"
<Sound fades as Warhound retreats>) ;-)

>I think the direction NetEpic is going, now, is to make titan close
>combat weapons cheaper. This should encourage more of these great hand
>to hand titan contests. It would be a shame to leave the Gargants out
>of this, and make them chase the little guys.

This is a great idea. Sure Titans make great support-weapon platforms, but
thiere IS nothing more fun that watching two Titans slug it out in CC.

>> True. So we could perhaps allow the Gargant to ignore infantry stands and
>> only target Vehicles, Superheavies, Praetorians and Titans.
>
>Let's just "junk" the rule, it really doesn't work well anymore, if it
>ever did.

I'm not keen on scrapping the rule altogether as I think the Ork Gargants
NEED some sort of restriction on what they can engage in CC. Orks work up
into a real battle frenzy and so would get pretty impatient about bashin'
things up. The simple soltuion is to simply force them to have to charge
the nearest Praetorian/Titan. As there are normally relatively few of
these on the table at any one time, it won't restrict the Gargants too much
and these will usually be the primary targets for the Gargant to want to
smush anyway. For example:

"Youze gits in the boiler ready? Roight! CHAAARRRRRGGGEE!"
"Charge wot Boss?"
"Dat big fing over dere wiff all da shooty bitz on it!"
"But dere's two of 'em!"
"Well get dat wun! Its closa! We ain't got all day ta smash dese Stunties
up ya know!"
"Why not Boss?"
"'Coz dere's sum 'Oomies dat needs a good kikin', dat's why! WAAAAAGGGGHHHH!"

>> >I could see a Gargant wading into a formation of infantry, to do battle,
>> >if it could battle them effectivly. But how is this to happen?
>>
>> With lots of Orks hanging out of hatches, firing their bolters like crazy!
>
>YESSSS! This should happen, but doesn't, with the current NetEpic
>rules.

I think that's what the Gargant Electrohull actually represents. As well
as the Gargant's CAF.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."