Re: [NetEpic ML] Warprat's CC

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:00:31 -0000

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, "Peter Ramos" <pramos2_at_u...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My head hurts <grin>.
>
> Okay, for my sake lay this out one more time please with the
suggestions you
> gave below and a math example, to see if I got it right.
>
> One question people is this really as complex as it sounds?
>
> Is this what we want? Heck Warprat you got Luca on your side so
you're doing
> something right.

Hey I'm not *THAT* bad <grin>

But seriously, I think that Warprat's idea assesses every aspect of
the question. Assault a titan with cheap troops and they're going to
DIE DIE DIE. Assault it with good troops, and they've a chance but
will take heavy casualties. Assault it with a massive attack of
elite,
the-best-you-can-find-in-the-galaxy troops and the titan will go down
in flames.

A short note about the elite infantry vs knights debate: I agree with
Warprat (obviously :-) ), exarchs, termies and the like are the top
you can find. If they are not able to take a titan down, then no
infantry has any chance.
As far as having the right tools, well... fluff-wise, Termies are
mini-titans by themselves, having a powered exo-scheleton. I would
argue than, given an immobile titan and plenty of time, a Terminator
would rip it to shreds using his "bare servo-powered gloves", so to
speak.
Of course a battle situation is different, but think about this: a
terminator is basically immune to low-powered weapons. And yet, those
are exactly the weapons which a Titan defense system would employ.
The
titan crew fires on the termies? So what? The bullets would just
bounce. Electro-hull?? Uh uh.. the discharge would be neutralized by
the armour. A titan would have to kill termies by actually stomping
them or using its "real" weapons, but of course, when there are
dozens
of them swarming at it, well.. it's dead. That's my main gripe with
the other systems: the various titan defense systems would be
pretty ineffective against super-elite infantry types, and the
systems
don't reflect this. Warprat's system nicely addresses this, so... :-)

Luca Lettieri