RE: [Net Epic ML] Forrest question reworded

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 12:53:26 -0500

Hi!

The problem arose when looking at what units were in the area. The
Marines were in the forrest and only the Kult of Speed with their
buggies and bikes were around. The forrest was small enough that the
bikes could have gotten to the Marines in one turn at advance speed
per the rules.

I know these aren't the optimum units to use in this situation and
we've ruled that they can't clear a forrest. They would be pretty
good at holding one though. What I need to know is:

1)what happens when someone on advance ends his move within 1 cm of
an enemy stand? If they can't initiate CC and the Marines can't fire
on them is it just a stale mate?

According to the rule you may not place units closer than 1cm if not on
charge orders, so in your example they cannot be placed that close. Of
course in essence it is a stalemate because one side cannot initiate close
combat and the other cannot fire. I always toyed with a visibility rule for
forest, something like firing range is reduced to 5 or 10cm with attendant
penalties.

2)let's say IG are in that forrest. They are pretty useless in CC so
they really need to whittle down the enemy before they get there. It
looks like they can't do it until the charge gets to them and they
get their First Fire and hope that's enough.

Of course we always try to set the units up on the edge of the
forrest where they can take advantage of cover and still pick off
others but the situation always arrises where they have to fall back
into the forrest and surround the objective and the other group has
to go in and get them.

Perhaps the best thing is to allow firing in woods at a severely reduced
range like I mentioned above.

Peter