Re: [NetEpic ML] 12000 pts battle orc vs sm

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 08:56:55 +1000

At 02:10 PM 5/19/00 +0000, you wrote:
>hi kelvin!

Howdy, howdy!

>thanks for that offer (you know - to drop a line)

Anytime. Like I said I don't get the opportunity to play much anymore so
giving out advice is the next best thing.

>on sunday im facing a 12000 pts SM army.
>i'll have to use a friends army and he plays orcs.
>i have never played orcs and so i'm in trouble to chose the right
>army composition.
>i know that i will have to face an superior air-force (9 marauders,
>12 thunderbolts and perhaps 3 thunderhawks)
>all i have to put against that are 6 fighta-bommerz and 3 flakwagons.
>so what chance do i stand (thought about using weirdboys?)

You said it. Take all the Airforce you have, the Flak Wagons (which are
easily kitbashed I might add!) and a Weirdboy or two. The Weirdboyz will
help enormously, especially if you power them up right.

>i'll have to field two mega gargants (its a campaign)

Then you need to field them. They can be effective if used right. Keep
them together to support each other and get them across the table ASAP!
You need to get the enemy within the 50cm range as quick as you can or the
Megas are useless.

>also available are 1 great gargant, 1 slasha gargant, 4 battle fortresses,9
>stompaz,

Take all of these. They are excellent, especially the 4 battlefortresses
as you can use them to either form a small hit-and-run force that needs no
command or use them to get your Goffs across the table ASAP.

>lots of goffs, badmoons, kult of speed, but hardly any snakebites,
>deathskulls, blood axes or ordonary evil sunz

Then use whatever you can get. The Kult are esential and as I stated, max
them out with high BP cards (the ones that add 3 to the BP). Use them as a
strike force. Also get as many Nobs Warbikez as you can. Any unit that
doesn't need to be commanded is one less unit to worry about. Form up the
BadMoonz around the Great and Slasha (IF they have long-range guns) with as
much of your long-range (75cm+) weapons you have. Don't bunch up too much
as you attract the attention of the airforce too much but form these guys
as you core support unit. Form up the Goffs in battlewagons and fortresses
with the two Megas. As the Megas' best firepower is close-range they will
be best used to support the Goffs as the Goffs with always be moving too.
If you can form some up, get some Snakbites and Evil Sunz and use them take
lightly-held objectives or disrupt formations of Devastators and Tactical
Marines. The Snakebites are especially good at this.

>also got no dragstas

Damned shame that. The Dragstaz are always useful.

>at least got lots of bonebreakers(about 30), and various other stuff
>(including pulsa rokkits)

Take it. The Pulsaz will be good for scaring the Imperator. Its big and
slow and the Pulsaz have a good chance of really hindering it. The
Bonebreakaz (the ones witht he 75cm battlecannons, yes?) are great for
supporting firepower. Ignore their roller ability. Its next-to-useless
(although it can be funny).

>any advice concerning composition and tactics?

Outnumber him. While I said that I prefer Shooting to Close Combat that
doesn't mean that I don't Close Assault. And in a battle as big as this
one, you're going to have to! So with this in mind you will have to have
lots and lots of infatry to outnumber him. That extra D6 for each extra
stand in CC is going to add right up when you outnumber him. Ignore the
Imperator except to try and annoy or distract it. Its one big model with
limited abilty. His infantry is the real threat. Once you bog them down,
his main maneuvering and objective-taking force is neutralised. Its easier
to kill 2750pts of infantry than it is to kill an Imperator. If you get
the chance to kill it, take. If not, then don't bother. More than likely
you opponent will use it as a fire-magnet so for most part ignore it.
There's easier stuff out there to kill than the Imperator.

The Land Raiders are very dangerous so if you can, force him to use them
kill infantry with thier firepower. That way their big AT ability is
wasted on grunts. Easiest way to kill LRs is with Grunts too. Your main
target should be either his Devastators or the Tacticals. Take them out.

But above all STAY FOCUSED! Someone else mentioned this earlier and in a
large battle like this its the most important thing. Its very easy to get
distracted and concentrate on the area you are doing really well in but
forgetting to give orders to any of you units can be disastrous!

Good luck. I hope I have given you SOME help. But the fight against
Marines is always the toughest.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."