Re: [NetEpic ML] On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:11:25 -0500

Hi!

Since we live in an age where scientific innovation is rapid and never
ending we assume that it has always been thus. Own own history tells us this
is not accurate.

Think about how different life was at the dawn of civilaztion and lets say
around the fall of the Roman Empire. Not significantly different. The major
changes being how weapons were made. This is a span of 4-5 thousand years.
Given this reality a stretch of 10000 without significant leaps in
technology is not as far fetched as one may think. How fast technology
develops is dependant on how significant the prior achievements are. If you
think about 40k tech, they have pretty significant advances that permit them
to control the Empire. Necessity is the mother of invention. How much
motivation does the Empire have to discover the great next technology? Given
the religious bent and constant war non-military inventions would be low.
Just remember how many innovations were squashed by religion in our own
history.

While 10000 years IS a long time given the social climate of the Imperium I
would not be too surprised that nothing new gets done.

Peter