Re: On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:55:50 -0000

> The Dark Ages of in Europe lasted for 700 - 1000 years. It
> continued for so long because of the hording of knowledge by
> the Church, and the constant rivalry and conflict between various
> countries and kingdoms.

First of all, "Dark Ages" is a bit of a misnomer, but I won't go into
an in-depth analysis of that.
Second, human knowledge was advancing anyway. Third, I can see a
particular faction gaining a sort of "knowledge monopoly", but then
the faction WOULD advance and advance fast, since it's the main
reason for said faction's (presumed) social supremacy. Fourth (and I
repeat): when you're at war, whoever is in charge WANTS better
weapons, so it will encourage military research, no matter which
ideology/ religion/ whatever is currently supporting.

GW fluff is very good, but only if you keep it "frozen in time". Any
attempt at building an history is bound to fail. It is just NOT
possible to keep the same situation for 10000 years. 100 years maybe,
and it would be a stretch already....

Luca Lettieri