Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: Joshua W Raup <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:24:32 -0400

Actually I would argue more stongly why a serious non-chaos threat hasn't
coordinated to topple it. While ignorance is rampant those in positions
of
power do have the knowledge and contacts. Even when most dont have FTL
capability in such a large galaxy cant several system govenors secretly
build them? My one true doubt on the background is the completeness of
the
suppression being done- too flawless.

Peter

-->Well, let's look at them case by case and see:
Chaos- Tend to be too disorganized, and as prone to infighting as much as
making war on the Imperium. they'd need a new Horus to do it
effectively, and Abbadon ain't it.
Orks- Waaayyy too disorganized. the clan structures alone prevent them
from being the big threat.
Eldar- Too few numbers. the tech edge is theirs (for now), but they lack
the resources to be serious.
Squats- too closely related. Too insular. While they may not always see
eye to eye with the Imps, they do so more often than not.
Slann- talk about retrogressive (RT era). From teh ultimate geniuses to
toads. All in a few short millenia.
Tyrranids- I think they could be the ones. They're nastier than Chaos,
and come in big hive fleets. So far, omly two (?) have enterd into
Imperial space. Doesn't mean that there ain't more, a whole lot more of
them out there. If four or five hive fleets were to eneter Imperial
space, the Imperium would be very very hard pressed to deal with them.
just look at the swath of destruction that Hive Fleet Kraken did before
it was stopped.

Now as for suppression, the effectiveness of organizations, such as the
Inquisition, are perhaps a bit over stated. Even so, there will always
be those who will do the job. The governors must meet the demands sent
to them, or risk bringing the Inquisition, or the Marines to
"investigate" them. So it's rather difficult for such people to build up
enough to do something, then maintain it. "Fear will keep the local
systems in line." Add in teh religious zealots, and you have a gestapo
type police state in effect, if only at the higher levels of government.
The average citizen isn't going to be part of this, or even care that
much. But I will say that the "suppression" isn't flawless. If it was,
there's never be a chaos inspired revolt, no genesteler cults, no
rebellions by uppity planetary governors, or the like. There are lots of
them, keeping the miliatry of the Imperium fighting trim with genuine
live fire exercises. Look at the Badab rebellion, or some of the fluff
from the RoC books to see what I mean.

josh R
Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell