Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: Thomas Wildman <tnrw00_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 06:59:39 -0500

>Look at the past 100 years
> and the airplane. We started with something that could barely fly and
> improved upon it quickly. This lead to jet propulsion to rocket science
and
> space travel. If you have ever seen a Stealth Bomber/fighter you can
> understand the technological leaps of the airplane in just 1 century. Not
> mention all the other spin-off inventions/technology that have come from
> this.

The airplane only advanced because society found a use for it and wanted to
use it. If someone in the Imperium had a similar idea, the AM would squash
it in its infancey, not only to defeat any competition, but also to
eliminate threats to the "holiness" of existing tech. If the AM wanted to
support advancement, the shear amount of progress possible would be
unimaginable.

>The China example has its point but one has to remember there lack of
> growth technologically was due their isolationist policiies. When they
> opened their doors they started catching up fast, are still behind but a
lot
> closer than when their doors were closed.

Your China example proves my point. The Imperium is practicing isolationist
policies, and seems genuinely afraid of outside influence.

> But On the other hand I also agree with Lorenzo. It is just fluff and who
> cares, we like game and the corny story-line.

This is probably the most important point of any issued on this subject.

Tom