Comments on Weasel's stuff

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:06:35 +0300

[snip]

> SOunds kewl. I have done a little thinking on PDF and Adeptus
> Arbites too.
> Check it out in the vault. We might be able to mix and match
> our stuff to
> combine into a single army list?

[snip]
Ok Weasel, here goes my 2FIM. Since I made my own version of the PDF I may
be somewhat biased.

PDF

Infantry: exactly the same I made.

Militia: don't have these but they are a nice touch. Probably forces taken
by emergency draft and given a crash course in "How to shoot at the enemy
without hitting your leg".

Fortification unit: this is the same as my heavy weapon PDF.

Rocket unit: are these some kind of bazooka troops? In that case the range
is too long; 25 or 35 at most. Would be good support cards.

Guerillas: roughly the same as my Hive Gang. The reason I prefer the hive
gang is that IMO the guerillas would be better in IG as they require special
training. Maybe rename them as IG commandoes?

Skirmishers: too similar to guerillas IMHO.

Light and heavy APCs: if APCs are needed I would suggest using the existing
ones. The reason I didn't include any in my list is that IMO the PDF is even
more static than the IG, and since IG gets APCs as support cards I don't
think the PDF should get as much of them.

Light tank: this is Sabre.

Medium/heavy tank: Leman Russ fills this place nicely. As the MBT of the
Imperium it is pretty much omnipresent.

Assault tank: for this role I gave the vindicator; as a Rhino variant it
would be simple to make as it was originally a battlefied modification
during the Heresy.

Infantry tank: whew! I don't think the PDF has quite this variety of
vehicles at its disposal.

Flame tank: this would be nice, probably made from a Rhino once again.

Recon vehicle: I think bikes fill this role.

Field gun: ~Thudd Gun.

Antitank gun: Tarantula fits in this role. However, if people think the
Tarantula is too expensive for the PDF this is definetely an excellent
alternative.

The idea of getting fortifications is nice; I originally thought of giving
them discount but this is definetely a better way of representing the static
defensive nature of the PDF. They are most likely to guard strategic
objectives until reinforcements come and not mount any significant
counterattacks.

Then the Arbites. As the Adeptus arbites is a law enforcement unit I don't
see them having a field army. However, they would be a nice addition to the
PDF armylist since they probably are present in every world with a decent
tech level. The combat infantry is about equivalent of my vision of regular
Judges with the shock infantry being the SWAT teams. I think the Judges
(combat infantry) should be the only company card they get with SWAT teams
(shock infantry) being support cards.

There would be room for a sniper in a law enforcement force IMO, stats and
rules equvalent to Ratlings except for a CAF of +1 and to hit roll of 4+.

The Judges should get Rhinos. The Codificer tank fits in the role of
Imperial law enforcement very well, but I don't see Judges having heavy
artillery at their disposal. The Law walker fits very well in the character
of the Judges. Enforcer is too heavy and I suggest using Sabre in place of
the Penalizer.

I made my own version of human bombs and penal troops, see what you think of
them.

BTW; I saw the header for the storm troopers, I too think they should be
added to the IG list. Maybe a company strength special card.

Phew! this became longer than I thought.

Jyrki Saari