[Net Epic ML] Re: The Discount Wars

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:34:16 -0000

<snip accurate account of why most gaming shops suck>

I cannot agree more with you, Peter. Currently 90%+ of my purchases
are from the Internet, and get this: even when including the hefty
USA-Italy shipping prices, AND taking into account the horrible
change ratio (basically the dollar has double the euro's buying
power), I STILL manage to save a little money.

But this is not even the main reason I buy online. The main reason is
availability. I cannot adequately express just how much irritates me
to go to what's supposed to be a specialized shop and find only the
two most current cash cows supported by a decent inventory. Italian
store owners really border on the pathetic: currently everyone is
going crazy with Pokemon, and everything else has been swept aside,
both in terms of inventory and support (demos, tourneys, table
space, etc.).

This already happened with Magic, and guess what? When the Magic
craze subsumed, LOTS of shops went belly up; apparently, noone
learned the lesson and they're repeating the exact same mistake. I
won't cry when they close.

Luca Lettieri