Re: [NetEpic ML] The Discount Wars

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 01:47:12 -0700

Hi Peter!

The BEST local game store is about 25 miles from me. I've visited it
off and on, for the last 23 years. So, they have been in business for a
while.

Do they meet my needs? Most of the time, they do. But, some times not.
They support the fads, but also maintain a fair selection of less hot
titles.

One bad experience:

I first learned of Dungeons and Dragons in High School, after visiting
the Hobby Shop mentioned above.

But I couldn't find any one to play with. The only group I knew of, at
school, was not in my scocial sphere. The hobby shop had some supposed
classes for newbies, but they never seemed to take place. There were no
schedules, or sign-up lists. It would have been great to have been able
to meet some new players, and eventually form into natural groups.

I really wanted to play, and tried to play it solo. Of course, D & D is
a group activity, so that didn't work too well. It wasn't untill a
couple of years later, that I could recruit players for my own campain.
Which was an awfull lot of fun, for all involved.

Because of my experience with that Hobby Shop, I tend to invite new
people more often. But I've been burned by this a couple of times. So
I'm more wary and selective, these days. But, I really do try to
actively recruit players.

It would be nice to have a neutral setting at a Hobby Store to play a
game or two, and to meet potential group members, without having to
invite them to my house.

I tend to shop at my local game stores first, if the price seems half
way reasonable. I like to be able to examine things.

Many times I have traded on Bartertown, or eBay. You can pick up some
GREAT DEALS, if you know what you are looking for.

Most of the time the local stores only carry a few remnants of Epic, so
I have bought on eBay a lot.

But buyer beware, I have been ripped off one time by Chaos Orc. When he
failed to deliver completely on some items after I sent him a money
order. That cost me about $60.

Warprat ;)