Re: [NetEpic ML] Off Topic

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:36:38 +1000

At 05:46 PM 7/21/00 -0700, Andy wrote:
>Ok I have seen two people mention that one of the favorite games was
>Fortress America...I have never heard of that game...what is it.

A wonderful Milton Bradley game produced about 10 years ago. Basically it
was the rest-of-the-world invading the US in a near-future setting. The
"South American Alliance" the "Sino-Russian Alliance" and the "Pacific Rim
Alliance" (Canada declared itself neutral and so the US was safe from
northern attacks).

Stealth bombers, attack choppers, hover tanks, infantry and Mech infantry
made up the units used by everyone and US had the added advantage of
building Laser Towers that could be fired at waiting satellites and
rebounded to shoot down enemy forces (usually your stealth bombers) and the
good ol' militia that more often than not popped up behind your lines and
cut off your supply route.

The US had a really hard time of it. On the East Coast (where the
concentration of cities was the largest) they were under immediate attack
while the West coast attackers had a longer haul to hit the vital
cities. The US fights a hard retreat in the opening turns of the game if
they know what they are doing and tries to regroup their forces for a
counter assault. The objective was to hold a certain number of cities by
the end of the game (A time limit from memory, its been ages since I last
played). As previously mentioned, the US could supply its units quicker,
but it faced a battle on 3 fronts and if properly coordinated the US could
fall very quickly. Surprises came in the form of event cards that were
drawn every turn and usually gave the US new troops in certain locations.

It was an awesome game that was lots of fun. Quite hard for the US to win,
but not impossible. And the earliest versions of the game even had a
picture of Saddam Hussein on the cover. Nasty sense of humour whoever made
THAT game.

Ah, those misspent years at University.....

-Kelvin....

      When you're feeling down just
      remember that you are unique.
        Just like everyone else.