Re: [NetEpic ML] Drop Pod Questions

From: J. Michael Looney <gamer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:04:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, dardman wrote:

> I think they should be able to be shot at by flyers. That is what happened
> to the V2 rockets in WWII. The Brits shot down a good number of them.

Horse Hockey. You are VERY wrong. The first ballistic missile shot down in
the history of warfare was Iraq Scuds, during the Gulf War, and there is
some question in the ADA community as to how good the Patriot really was
at doing that.

V1 (aka buzz bombs) were shot down, plus tipped over on their sides,
causing them to go wild and crash into the sea, but ZERO V2 were shot
down, by flyers or ANY other form of air defense.

Of course, if the troops in side the drop pods are going to survive
landing, they have to slow down some what, which makes them more likely to
be a target for air defense systems, but ADA systems have a real hard time
with targets moving at near orbital speeds.

Just for what it's worth, I spent 10 years in air defense, it's one aspect
of modern war I understand fairly well.

--
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com
If guns are outlawed can we use swords?