Re: Drop Pod Questions

From: <ramospeter_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 14:38:56 -0000

Hi!

Darius, I think you mean the V1 or buzz bombs. These were realitively
slow and were shot down by aircraft, but a great number were also
destroyed by shearing off the wings with the blimps attached to the
ground by wires. Also their gyros were very sensitives and the "flak"
didn't need to hit them dead on, but explode near it to send it
crashing down in flames. Of course many just failed to operate
correctly and crashed in the English channel.

> > I think they should be able to be shot at by flyers. That is what
happened
> > to the V2 rockets in WWII. The Brits shot down a good number of
them.

> Horse Hockey. You are VERY wrong. The first ballistic missile
shot down in
> the history of warfare was Iraq Scuds, during the Gulf War, and
there is
> some question in the ADA community as to how good the Patriot
really was
> at doing that.

Very true. One tends to tend to compare old technology with modern
terms, the V1 was more of a rocket munition than a proper ballistic
missile.

Most sci-fi literature seems to make orbital landing craft not so
vulnerable as they come in, their weakness lies in that you need
space superiority in order to launch them at all. something which
epic doesn't cover (this would be excellent to achieve in a combines
BFG and epic campaign!).

Of course once landed the troops may have a god awful time assaulting
postions if the LZ is hot. Usually an assault pod aassault fails not
on entry but after landing and attacking a well entrenched foe.

Peter