Scenario development

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 16:12:41 +0300

We have done much rules tweaking in this list but I don't remember us ever
designing scenarios collectively. So I thought to get the ball rolling by
posting a suggestion.

Mini Campaign: Operatshun Ursk II 41943 :). A Waa-Ork has landed on an
Imperial planet Ursk II. The objective of the Waagh was actually the
industrial planet of Ursk I rather than the smaller agricultural Ursk II but
the ork navigator in a typical example of Ork pinpoint accuracy promptly
crashed the Waagh on Ursk II. After dealing with the navigator the Ork
warboss Hizghner scraped together a plan: the objective of the Orks is the
capital city which has the only major industrial facilities of Ursk II and
the only spaceport capable of handling large scale traffic. Thus, to get
enough inter system crafts and resources to completely repair the crashed
ship in order to continue the waagh to the original target of Ursk I the
spaceport and maintenace facilities of the capital must be captured.

1: A forward element of the Ork horde assaults the forward defense lines of
the capital. This is a siege scenario, the Orks must break through Imperial
fortifications.
Special rules: No titans for the IG; they are in strategic reserve and won't
be used until the main assault has been detected. The Orks may have a
maximum of one Slasha Gargant; this is a forward element and supposedly too
fast moving for Greats.

If Orks win goto 2, if IG wins goto 3.

2: A breakthrough has been achieved and the ork force roars forward from the
gap. A small imperial force fights a rearguard action at a forested region
with a small town to buy time for countermeasures. IG may now have one
titan.

Limits, special rules?

If Orks win goto 4, if IG wins goto 5.

3: The main Ork force now tries to breach the line. No restrictions to
forces; the Orks throw in everything they have and the Imperials have
released the strategic reserve.

If Orks win goto 5, if IG wins goto 6.

4: The Orks have crushed all resistance and the Imperial forces try a last
desperate counterattack to gain time for the defenders of the capital to
organize.

Special rules: the Imperial forces are a motley group of battered and fresh
forces. Suggestions?

If Orks win goto 7, if IG wins goto 8.

5: The Imperial defense bought enough time for the reserves to organize. The
two forces clash together in a massive meeting engagement.

Limits, special rules?

If Orks win goto 8, if IG wins goto 6.

6: The orks have been stopped and a massive counterattack has been assembled
to drive the green horde back.

Special rules: the Orks are the battered ones in this battle.

If Orks win goto 9, if IG wins goto 10.

7: The Orks are at the gates of the capital. The Imperials have srcaped
together everything they could but the time was too short to organize the
defenses in most effective way.

Special rules: some restrictions on fortifications, limited troop
availability to Imperials; the Ork units should also show some battle damage
at this point.

If Orks win goto 12, if IG wins goto 13.

8: The Orks are at the gates of the capital but the Imperium has had time to
organize the resistance effectively. This is a normal siege scenario.

If Orks win goto 12, if IG wins goto 11.

9: The Orks now fight for time; a force tries to hold the Imperial assault
long enough for the spacecraft to be jury-rigged.

If Orks win goto 14, if IG wins goto 10.

10: The Imperium has pushed the Orks back at heir landing site. The Orks
make their last stand here.

Special rules: the orks should really be battered at this point.

If Orks win goto 14, if IG wins goto 15.

11: The Orks have been rebuffed at the capital and a relief force of Space
Marines has arrived.

If Orks win goto 13, if IG wins goto 14.

12: Ork strategic victory

13: Ork tactical victory

14: Imperial tactical victory

15: Imperial strategic victory

Suggestions, turn limits, special rules, force compositions etc., please.

Jyrki Saari