Fighting against Chaos; Supporting CC

From: Christian Debray <debray_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:57:27 -0000

Hi,

I recently played a battle against Chaos and another one against
Eldars; I got defeated once, had much fun twice, and found out that I
may need some advice on three points:

1. Chaos Reward Cards

Having fielded the Emperor's Children Legion and its Primarch
Fulgrim,
the Chaos player got the Chaos Reward Card "Lure of Slaneesh". Of
course, he played it on one of my Warhound Titans; no problem with
that (except for my 4 Terminators who got executed by my own Titan).
However, we couldn't find out on the card if the Lure of Slaneesh is
a non-physical psychic attack, thus allowing my Warhound a psychic
save of 4+ because of his active void shields. My opponent gently
granted me the save (I failed it anyway), was he right or was there a
misinterpretation of the rules?

Besides, I have another question related to this topic, to those who
play against Chaos: How do you manage the threat of Chaos Cards?(my
Reaver Titan didn't appreciate much the crystalline body of the
daemon he had targeted with his turbolasers...)

2. Grey Knights teleporting on the battlefield

I know that this topic has already been discussed on the NetEpic
group before I joined, but I didn't noticed any changes concerning
the
Grey Knights between the 3.0 and the 4.0 unit descriptions (although
thought they needed one). Can someone remind me the suggested
alternatives to the 3.0 rules?

3. Supporting Close Combat

The close combat sequence is very popular in my group, partly because
of the mayhem fightings that occur on turns 2 and 3 near central
objectives. But I can't help noticing how some units, like Rhinos,
are useless in such situations and still forced to expose to ennemy
attacks, because of formation rules or their transport role. Wouldn't
it be worth creating rules on supporting close combats at short range
(10cm, for instance)?

The Epic 40K and Warmaster rules would certainly not fit (bonuses
apply to a full detachment/regiment), because the implementation of
detachments in SM/NetEpic is too different. But what about inspiring
from the SM Chaplain rules and the barrage fire system:

-support only applies on a given surface, say the 6cm barrage burst
template, within a given distance (10 cm)of supporting units

-effects of support depend upon the number and efficiency of
supporting units. This means that something like 3 Eldar Peregrine
tanks would give the same CC support as 6 Imperial Rhinos.

Thank you for your replies!

Christian