Re: [NetEpic ML] Fighting against Chaos; Supporting CC

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:45:36 +1000

At 08:31 PM 8/30/00 -0400, Peter the Wise wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Drop pods are a major pain for most players to deal with since they can land
>anywhere and disrupt the battle line. Only detachment s as mentioned need
>maintain coherency and the drop pods can be dropped over a wide area,
>remeber that coherency is an issue IF you move if you stay in the same place
>after deployment you need not reorganize.

Yes. Drop pods can be a very, very big pain the behind. Especially when
you forget about them and organize your battleplan and orders without them
in mind, then the sky fills with them and you have nothing to shoot at them
with. That becomes a real bugger.

>The most daring use of drop pods I
>have seen was dropping a devastator company, very risky but if you land them
>away from immediate close combat reprisals the payoff is enormous, remember
>they get the -2 armor save modifier from shooting from behind plus their -1
>for a total of -3, just imagine 32 attack dice at -3!

Had it done, but in detachment size. Only player I fought put 90% of his
force in Drop Pods. One of the companies was a Battle Company. The
Assault Detachment fell with the Assault Company right into the middle of
two of my Clans causing MASSIVE damage. The Tactical Detachment (plus the
Tactical Company's detachments) fell around objectives to claim them while
the Devastator Detachment fell behind my Slasha Gargant, tearing it to
pieces. Nasty game that was.

>Of course there are ways to squelch drop pods but I will reserve that until
>after me and Ed play in September since I dont want to blow any
>secrets..<grin>

Of course there are. Under the SM/TL rules a Clan of Bad Moonz with some
extra boyz added on can make minced meat of a Drop Pod Assault. That
lovely -2 save mod....

Look forward to hearing about your battle!

-Kelvin....

        When you're feeling down
      remember that you are unique.
        Just like everyone else.